• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Mosfets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats a VIA based board. You do not need to cool its MOFSETS. VIA boards dont draw alot of power.

The MOFSETS on that board are the 2 chips x 3 sets down the far right mid section of the board (based off that picture).

Sentential said:
Thats a VIA based board. You do not need to cool its MOFSETS. VIA boards dont draw alot of power.

The MOFSETS on that board are the 2 chips x 3 sets down the far right mid section of the board (based off that picture).

hehe, i'd like to see you touch those mosfets, say bye bye to your finger. the PWM temperature is being reported at 66C.
thats a little high, dont you think?

what would the voltage reg chip and clock generator look like?

RussianMissile1 said:

hehe, i'd like to see you touch those mosfets, say bye bye to your finger. the PWM temperature is being reported at 66C.
thats a little high, dont you think?

what would the voltage reg chip and clock generator look like?

MOSFET burns are refered to as "the nerd tatoo." :D

Last summer for a robotic competition we had to make H-brdiges to control the motors. (A H-brdige consists of 4 MOSFETS and 4 transistors, basically allows the voltage to stay high and low depending on the input). Anyway, quite often the MOSFETS would get really hot due to misconnections in the circuit. Sometimes they would even burn... believe me, MOSFET burns aren't nice to smell. :-/

Hence the phrase "the nerd tatoo" :D

Honestly, is there seriously any need for cooling of the mosfets? I don't doubt they get warm, but does it seriously help to sink them?

Oh wow...I had no idea. I guess its an Abit thing. Most VIA boards hardly get warm at all. I could run my gigabyte KT600 board without any sinks at all if I wanted, this includes the NB.

Yea if they are that hot sink em! All voltage regulators are MOFSETS. MOFSETs all look the same. They are a box with 2 voltage legs that are evenly spaced on the same side.

Kinda off topic I guess.... here are some pics to show you guys what burned MOSFETs would look like...

burned_mosfet.jpg

They were used on this baby below

The_beauties.jpg

These are what the voltage reg chip/clockgenerator/PLL? look like on the nf7 im sure there simlar on most boards:)

attachment.php

iirc no.1 is tha voltage reg and 2 is the clock gen

Back