• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mach 1 on the way, quick insulation questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

Hi guys, finally decided to go for a Mach 1 for my primary rig in the sig. I'll be keeping it stock for now, but will probably regas in the future.

In anycase, I just had a quick question for you guys. What all do you do for condensation prevension in addition to what is provided/instructed with the mach 1.

So far I was thinking putting dielectric grease in the center of the socket and the pin holes, with possibly conformal coating on the back of the socket...all of this in addition to the "gaskets" and seal string in the kit. However I can't find any conformal coaring around here, would silicon work??

Any other advice or suggestions any of you have would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Silicon would work but I just read Bowman's guide to insulating phase-change systems at www.phase-change.com and it stated that silicon is pretty much impossible to totally remove from a motherboard (whereas dielectric grease can be cleaned with contact cleaner).

I have to find a retailer for some good contact cleaner also. It was suggested not to use Radioshack brand because it's rather messy and hard to clean off.

In my post that's near the top of this forum you can see pics of what happens when condensation causes corrosion on the socket pins on the rear of the motherboard. It isn't pretty and I thought I followed the Mach I instructions perfectly too). This time around I'm following the Mach I directions as I did before but I am going to use closed cell foam and dielectric grease inside the socket and outside of the socket as well as closed cell foam inside the plate that attaches to the back of the motherboard. I haven't found out if I should use the heater in conjunction with the closed-cell foam yet, though.

really I'm not worried at all about having to remove silicon in the future...but I do see your point. Let me know what you end up going with when you get your setup going again, as far as the heater and close cell foam go

Back