• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much faster is a mobile xp than a xp3200+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slizer

Registered
how much faster is a mobile 2600 than the 3200+ barton cpu?
in overclocked stance, do it calculate gfx just as good?
what about divxencoding and such

They are the same chip, just one is "cherry picked" to run at lower voltages. So the difference is speed would be dependant on a clock speed difference.

If the Mobile 2600 is clocked higher than the 3200+, it will be faster. From an overclocking standpoint, the Mobile 2600+ will clock higher in nearly all cases.

so is it worth, moving from my xp3000+ to a mobile cpu?
since i dont get any high clock on my xp3000+, it might, but i want to hear your opinions

just my 2cents... depending on your investment that you've made
on your current rig, you may want to go with a m-2400-xp. now, since there's no specs on your rig, it's hard to define how much fast you'll be able to get with the mobile XP's that's out there. Quality components can make your cpu get past your xp3000barton which you have right now. I'm running an XP-2400m @2.075vcore... 217FSBx12.5... 2.714GHz... not to shabby on air with an SP-97 HS and 2-Smartfans2 on it. Good luck on your decision.

no it wont be worth it. an athlon xp 3000+ is a very fast cpu, buying an upgrade to something that is highend is not smart. thats like going from a radeon 9800 pro to a 9800xt. useless...

I have an Mobile 2400+ clocked at 2.3, I would just keep your 3000+ that is all you need and save for a 64 system

Mobile XPs became popular because they have their multiplier unlocked I believe, that way it can adjust the speed on the fly as needed, to keep heat and power consumption down. There's no guarantee it will overclock any higher than any other XP.

So do breaking the sig rules ;). All non senior members are only allowed links to folding team overclockers.com seti team and 3dmakr team, senior members are allowed one personal link.

Alacritan said:
Mobile XPs became popular because they have their multiplier unlocked I believe, that way it can adjust the speed on the fly as needed, to keep heat and power consumption down. There's no guarantee it will overclock any higher than any other XP.

athlonxp: 70C @ 1.65 Vcore
mobilexp: 85C @ 1.45 Vcore

that's guaranteed overclocking if i ever saw it...

If you still want to upgrade, consider EBaying your 3000+ and for the money you get off of it get the mobile chip. I'm pretty sure that a $100 should be easily achievable, thus a 2600+ Mobile would be a great choice of CPU.
On the other hand, like already been mentioned, you haven't put down any of your system's specs:
Like what is your CPU clocked to right now, what motherboard you have (and what revision), what memory and very important what brand+model of your PSU, also what cooling do you have on your chip and what temps do you get under full load...

All this info will help us help you better on what you should do.

Mr.Guvernment said:
Not to mention if you want to encode your better to go with Intel :)

Depends on the app. To many reviewers go for HT enabled app's, but there are many that are not that are just as good or better than the HT enabled ones. In the ones that are not HT enabled the Athlons still beat P4's even with there clock advantage. New is not always better....here's an example of the new wonder processor from Intel getting a lesson from a XP mobile.....

http://www.bit-tech.net/review/309/9

Back