• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer shuts off in games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaro786

I have an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and every time I go to play Lineage II beta my computer will not stay on for more than 30 mins. I have tried using an ATI Radeon 9600 pro currently using 9800 pro. I have tried 3 types of ram Corsair TWINX 2700 1GB Kingston HyperX 2700 512MB and currently using Kingston Value Ram 3200 dual channel mode. I have tried each stick by its self and together with its paired stick. I have tried an antec 350w power supply and a 400w power supply. I have switched heatsinks and thermal compound. When I run burn in with Sandra my computer is completely stable. I have talked with Intel and ASUS and niether knows what is wrong and i don't either. Any ideas?

jaro786 said:
I have an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and every time I go to play Lineage II beta my computer will not stay on for more than 30 mins. I have tried using an ATI Radeon 9600 pro currently using 9800 pro. I have tried 3 types of ram Corsair TWINX 2700 1GB Kingston HyperX 2700 512MB and currently using Kingston Value Ram 3200 dual channel mode. I have tried each stick by its self and together with its paired stick. I have tried an antec 350w power supply and a 400w power supply. I have switched heatsinks and thermal compound. When I run burn in with Sandra my computer is completely stable. I have talked with Intel and ASUS and niether knows what is wrong and i don't either. Any ideas?

Are you overclocked? If so, try switching everything back to stock. Also, what are your temps and rails?

Matt

I am not overclocked and my temps at load are about 45-50C and 27-33C idle.

Steady

Last edited:
check the game site, maybe they have a new patch... could be the game...

He has the latest catalyst drivers. Sense he has upgraded to the 9800 Pro, I have inherited the old 9600 Pro...;) So tomorrow we are going to try my old 4200. If this doesn’t work, I have no idea what’s going on.

Run Prime95 on priority 10 and see if it gives you an error and report what it tells you. If it does not give you an error after 12 hours it is pretty safe to say then it is a problem with the beta game, not your computer.

If this happens with more than one game, what games does it happen with, and does it happen just as fast?

Things to try are a driver update first, get the latest driver release out.

Then possibly remove the side of the case and point a fan at the mobo and run a game to see if that makes a difference. (The case cooling may need to be improved - if it sucks it doesn't matter how many times you reseat or change out the heatsink)

I don't know much about Intel, but make sure you have the latest mobo chipset drivers installed if you need them. (I have to make sure I have the latest Hyperion installed)

Just some ideas. :)

EDIT: Try uninstalling the drivers for the card then using an ATI utility to remove all remnants that may have been left behind. Installing updated drivers over old 9600 drivers that didn't go away like they should have can cause serious problems that are a PITA to figure out. Sound familiar?

yup or u can change the v.card first :) since u said it happens to all games :)

My rig only shuts down while playing if it isnt stable. Dunno what ur issue could be but all the suggestions that were made are about as good as its gonna get. :) It sounds like a driver issue or a possible hardware failure. :(

im haveing the same thing happen with my p4p800 and a 9800 pro i play for about a minute and it drops me back into my os which is xp pro tried every thing updated drivers ,fresh install.nothing works need a diffent vid card ,to check that ive try two differnt boards so far no luck.im going to a sis 655 to see if that works.

I don't have any idea what was wrong but both my ATI cards 9600 and 9800 crash my computer but a GeForce 4 ti4200 runs just fine no problems so I guess my motherboard or cpu or something does not like ATI cards

It isn't a hardware conflict IMO... I think there are driver bits somewhere that are ****ing off the ATI cards. You need to make sure all remnants are history. If you have had Nvidia drivers installed, you need to remove them and use Detonator Destroyer to get rid of their remnants.

Here is a link to the ATI utilities you need:

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

In this thread is a guide to check manually for remnants and remove them, and there is a link to a program that supposedly can remove all left over driver files:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=29535

I bet if you did a quickformat and fresh install of windows that would solve your problem also. :)

If I am wrong, and it is a hardware problem, then it should be documented with ATI and you should be able to find information about it.

Do you have no problem at all if you use the 4200? You need to use it extensively like you try to with the ATI to make sure.

If there is still a problem, and it persists after you fully remove all drivers and reinstall the newest version of the ones you need... You need to do what I outline in the following quote. The work will be worthwhile once you get that 9800 running good and you get gaming. :)

IMOG said:
Run Prime95 on priority 10 and see if it gives you an error and report what it tells you. If it does not give you an error after 12 hours it is pretty safe to say then it is a problem with the beta game, not your computer.

If this happens with more than one game, what games does it happen with, and does it happen just as fast?

Things to try are a driver update first, get the latest driver release out.

Then possibly remove the side of the case and point a fan at the mobo and run a game to see if that makes a difference. (The case cooling may need to be improved - if it sucks it doesn't matter how many times you reseat or change out the heatsink)

I don't know much about Intel, but make sure you have the latest mobo chipset drivers installed if you need them. (I have to make sure I have the latest Hyperion installed)

Just some ideas. :)

EDIT: Try uninstalling the drivers for the card then using an ATI utility to remove all remnants that may have been left behind. Installing updated drivers over old 9600 drivers that didn't go away like they should have can cause serious problems that are a PITA to figure out. Sound familiar?

Last edited:
I have installed and reinstalled the ATI drivers many times each time i followed the directions of driver cleaner to remove all the remains of ati old drivers. I have installed the newest ATI drivers after a fresh install on 2 hard drives. I ran Prime 95 with the screen saver running 3d pipes and after about 15 mins the computer shut off. With the screen saver dissabled and the monitor set to shut off after 1 min prime 95 worked untill i stopped it. I installed the 4200 and opened lineage II and went to circuitcity for about 1 1/2 hours while lineage was running and it was still running when i returned. if i did this with an ATI card it would shut off i tried it at dinner once and the computer was off when i came back. I don't know if it could have been a problem with something in the drivers such as gpu recover but i am sure it was not a driver error on my part. I always clean the remains of old drivers first in safe mode. I have seen some ATI documents on 8x agp causing system hangs with the 9600 and maybe i had a defective 9800 i don't know. i have returned the 9800 and am considering getting a nvidia 5900 or 5900xt

8x agp prob

I may have had this problem as well my computer would fail to post occasionally with 9800 post problem

Last edited:
i did the same thing fresh install ,update os,drivers, the works.nothing helped the 865 chipset on two differnt boards would not let me play any games.went to sis 655 chipset and everything is fine now .wish i could find what the problem was!!!.i build rigs all the time and have seen software issues where games would not play on a set up but not hardware issues like mine till i read this thread.

very weird cuz I know that alot people are using this chipset and are playing games on various vid cards. Wonder what the issue is?

I still don't know what it was i could have just been bad luck getting 2 bad cards in a row or it could be something wrong with my MB but i have sent it back once and its rare to get one sent back that does not work.

hmmm did u try changing a different brand of v.card? like nvidia?

Back