• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ramsinks for vga card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meatneck

i have a question about mounting ramsinks on my 9600pro..is it safe to use just plain white thermal paste directly to the ram? and also i see ram on both sides of the card should i put it on all of them? and how much is too much paste on the ram? i dont want to overload it if i can help it..i was gonna use superglue on the corners to hold the sinks on? also will the sinks help much on an o/c?

You need some sort of adhesive. I reccomend either Artic Alumina Epoxy, or Thermal tape if you're cheap. When applied correctly with good sinks, I would expect to see a 15~20Mhz gain in you overclock.

thats why i was gonna use a dab of superglue on 2 corners to hold them on..someone else on the forums suggested that..i wonder if that is safe also..im not really ready to buy a new card for an mistakes that might happen..

i'm aving the same issue. someone told me mixing elmers glue with thermal goop would work, i plan on using ASC because i have plenty of it.

If you really want to be able to remove it later then the superglue-in-the-corners method is what you want. To remove them with this method just take a razor and cut the glue off. I wouldn't use Elmer's Glue. The hold isn't strong enough. Be sure to use either AS5 or AS Ceramique inbetween the RAM and the ramsink. If you're sure you want them on there good, use AS Alumina Epoxy. You can actually remove it by freezing the card and then twising the ramsinks off but the superglue method is easier to remove.

I wouldn't expect a 15~20MHz increase in OC with ramsinks unless the RAM is having serious heat issues. 5~10MHz would be a more reasonable estimate.

"If you're sure you want them on there good, use AS Alumina Epoxy. You can actually remove it by freezing the card and then twising the ramsinks off but the superglue method is easier to remove."

i have this artic alumina 2 part epoxy, i heard it would rip the ram right off...if i put 2 ram modules under the same heatsink, twisting it would be more like pushing it one way, a differnt way for each modual...ick. maybe i'll just work with ASC and some string to hold them on there to see if they will be good enough, then artic alumina them on if they are...

yea! i figured the bigger the better...since i had the room for them.. oh well so far they have made a difference i was able to get the memory to 337 and stable..thats a 20mhz difference from what i got without them..i figured this will hold me over till i get the extra cash to buy a 9800pro or 9800xt...

You mix half and half AS thermal epoxy with as3 , as5 or Ceramique. If you need to remove ramsinks just wack it with a screwdriver. Come off easily without damage

cool, i guess the heatsinks i planned on using arent overkill, then :) woo! maybe i'll mod it this weekend....

so a 50/50 of ACS and AA epoxy should stay on but be removeable?cool beans.

then i'll learn ot OC my vid card...heh, i've yet to look into it.

heatsink and fan are next..i just need to find a good one to make something out of..then after that im thinkin about a power mod..

I've got to say, very nice mod work there. Also, I like those heatsinks because they are indeed so dang big, which is a good thing. Can't wait till the core gets something done to it.

BTW got any temps??

im not sure on temps..i have now way to test the temps onthe vga..but after the other mods i went for 46c to 37c on the cpu..

Back