• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I remount my slk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fldrice

Just installed the slk947u last night and I ran prime95 and 3dmarks2001se the whole night for stress testing. In the morning, the highest temp recorded was 46º C and the idle temp was 35ºC. Tonight, my idle temp is 40ºC. What's up with that? My case temp is 20º C. Monitoring was done with MBM5 and I used AS5. Any feedback is appreciated.

Are all of those temps after the heatsink was installed? (So it went up after the stress-testing even though you didn't mess with the heatsink?) Or was the first set before it was reseated and the second after?

Doesn't look right . I use the same cpu the load temp look right. but the idle gone up without an increase in the load temp. Sure you don't have something running in the background. Maybe you been hijacked Check with it with Spybot

I think you should let AS5 set. I should take about a week or 2. I'm in the same predicament. I remounted my HS yesterday - temps were 36:23 idle. Turned off PC. Today, turned on PC and it's 41:23 idle.

Usually My temps are around 35:23 idle consistenly after a couple of weeks.

hope it helps

yea let the as set, if the temps are still high, re set the hs. make sure you take a razor to the as and make it as smooth and thin as possible. be careful though.

Yeah I haven't messed around with it at all. Really weird it seems that as5 works best when it's newly applied. After a couple hours of usage my cpu temps do go down even when underload.

UPDATE: I remounted my heatsink today and my temps @ idle is stil around 40-43. WTF? could it be a bad thermal diode?

fldrice said:
UPDATE: I remounted my heatsink today and my temps @ idle is stil around 40-43. WTF? could it be a bad thermal diode?

I think it takes 200 hours for the as5 to settle in so be patient and see what happens.

What vcore are you running?

Okay running 1.825 (1.78-1.84 fluctuation) vcore. Before with a stock amd heatsink and as5 running a 1.725 vcore @ 200 fsb and 11x temps idled around 38º C. Another weird thing that I just notice, is if I have my pc running for a really long time, then the my temps begin to drop. I have to run the tt2 at full speed in order to get somewhat acceptable temps and the noise is bugging the heck out of me.:(

oh well, fld rice doesn't have an athlon xp anymore, he just HAD to get a a64. BTW i heard fld's primary rig got a virus.

-my brother is so funni

The idle temps are not important here.

The idle temps can easily be higher if the case is much warmer than it was initially (and when you're priming and 3dmarking all night, you are going to get high case temps, with the CPU and video card working double time).
Especially so with a closed case.

What we care about-are the load temps.
If your load temps are the same or lower than they were last night, then you're doing fine. Reseating a heatsink will almost never make idle temps go down, unless it were mounted so poorly (or the AS5 applied so poorly or too much), that you would be getting more than 55C load.

Too many strange things can affect idle temps.
You can also use a monitoring program (Taskinfo 2003 is a good one) to check CPU usage.

But I'm pretty sure that your case was probably running cooler before testing, than after. And yes, who knows about the diode. Just look at load.

And you reseated the heatsink and your idle temp went even higher. Obviously, because you reseated the heatsink ! Don't reseat it next time, unless there is a serious problem with the load temps.

And, the best way to apply AS5, is directly on their website. You can -try- the razor blade method, but it's too time consuming and the chance of an error is too high. Just use their instructions.

I don't know why this old thread got revived. I happen to got a bad tube of AS5 and all has been well for last couple months.

Back