• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overheating problems???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

I bought a new AMD Athlon 1.2GHz a couple of days ago with ASUS A7V-133 mobo with a Mini Super Orb. The problem is that the temp of the CPU is always varies betwin 54 (idle) - 58 (After 1/2 hour Q3A) C°. And I don't have the oportiunoty or cash to buy other HSF, so I'm asking for suggestions to try and cool off that CPU. I already got one 80mm Case fan blowing air in (in bottom front) and one 80mm fan from old PSU blowing air out (in rear upper side of case). with the additional fan the temp maybe droped by 1-2 C°. Does any have any idias how can I cool it off more??

Oh dear that is a very bad HSF, especially for a 1.2Ghz AMD. But oh well there are a few things you can do to improve temps...

1...Lap the base of your Mini Orb (This should bring temps down by 3-5ºC)
2...Apply AS2 between your Mini Orb and your cpu (Again another 2-5ºC depending on how you do it)
3...Overclock the fan, bit dangerous but some sites show you how to do it (Fans live for over a year anyway, by that time you should have enough for a new HSF no?)
4...Reduce voltage as low as possible while keeping stability (This is a complete freebie and saves 1-3ºC)

Good Luck!

(Edit : Another thing you could try is taking your case panel off. This may increase temps if your ventilation is good but generally reduces whole temperatures which reduces cpu temps)

I had the same problem too. That mini super orb is the worst thing you can buy for a Socket A. Same temps like you. I switched to the vantec 6030d aluminum and the temp went down 18 degrees!! (With Artic S II) Get a new HSF. The vantec only costs $19

I already have a therma paste on the CPU and I have no way of getting the ASII 'cause I live in remote town.
I don't truly understand the meaning of the word LAP in: Lap the base of your Mini Orb.

If you look at the base of your mini orb you will see fine marks and as a whole the base appears dull.

Lapping is the process of machining (or sanding) a base until the base becomes flat, reflective and free from marks. What this does is reduces rocking on your cpu and provides a much better contact improving temperature transfer.

What most people do is take a sheet of glass, a sander (or sand block) and sand the hsf on the glass in a circular motion with increasingly finer paper. Most people work their way from 120 to 600 class grit paper, but the lower ones might not be needed if your base is already quite flat.

Pitspawn, you mentioned that I can overclock my CPU Fan??? How?

Another thing you can try is to take the fan in front of your case and put it in the back below the PSU make sure the air blows in, what ends up happening is that you will be blowing cooler air in straight to your HSF which should help but it is best to have another fan in front blowing the hot air out. If you dont want to wait for AS-2 through the mail go to a Radioshack and get there thermal compound as its actualy some pretty good stuff.

well i would go with a new heatsink and either the thermal right sk6 with a delta 38 cfm or if noise is a problem go with the millenium glaciator!!!!!!!!!

Outside of what has been mentioned, open the case and put a standard big floor fan blowing into it. This will at least give your Orb some fresh cool air to work with. You will need to keep the critters away and dust frequently. You should replace that Orb as soon as you can afford it. An $18 FOP 32 will do a much better job than the Orb.

Thanks guys, I think I'll ask the store where I bought this thing if I can just change it w/o paying any money/less for this new HSF.

Back