• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help figuring out a problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gas-man

Firstly, thanks to all who are reading.

Okay, my system is as follows:

MSI K7D Master-L MoBo
2 X XP 1600
Radeon 8500LE
2x256mb pc2100 RAM
Audigy 1

Anyway, for the past few days I've had this really weird problem. When I start up the computer, it will not post and there is a weird noise coming from inside, similar to a fan having trouble or the HDD LED just going to town.

What I have to do is either reset or power off and back on the machine at least 10 times each time I want to start it, and the odd time it will actually post and log in.

I've checked and it's not any of the HD's, it's not the optical drive. The LEDs on the motherboard told me it was getting hung up on the RAM - so yesterday I played around with the RAM, sometimes it would work, sometimes not, so I don't think it's the RAM either.

Is this a PSU problem? A Mobo problem?

Any tips/questions/advice greatly appreciated.

G

When you do get it to boot run memtest. It will test your ram for any errors and it is usually pretty accurate in finding bad ram. Or if you don't want to do that try a different stick of ram. Also, check your voltage rails and post them here when you get the computer to run. Are you overclocked? If so, put everything back to stock see if that helps. Also, relax your memory timings. Good luck!

Matt

Hey mdcomp, thanks for replying.

I ran memtest and let it go - when i came back my comp was frozen, the testing was at 98% and it was about 24% through the final test. This a good/bad/meaningless sign? I should probably run the test again, I'll wait for your input, though.

Cheers,
GM

Does the system normally freeze once you get it booted and you don't run memtest?
I would grab another stick of RAM if you can to test it.

Sterculus said:
Does the system normally freeze once you get it booted and you don't run memtest?
I would grab another stick of RAM if you can to test it.

Me too. I am not 100% sure what a freeze means in that situation. Good luck! Get back to us.

Matt

I would try another stick of ram. But first, set your ram to stock speeds, maybe give it a little more voltage, and take it out, and make sure the gold colored contacts that contact the DIMM socket are clean, but it in and try again ;)

Hey guys,

Once the computer gets up and going and boots there are 0 problems. It only happens when trying to boot the system. Also, my system freezes very rarely.

Assuming it is the RAM, where is the clicking noise coming from?

Recomendation

I hope the mem test your using is memtest86. If not download it and run it. It would be my recomendation to remove one stick of ram so you can test each stick seperatly.This should do a complete job of testing the ram. ram is one of the first things you should test. Don't run the test thru just one cycle but let it run several times. Of course it is always good to use another stick you know is good and run it anytime memory is a suspect in causing a problem.

edit: Of course take mdcomp's advice and check the power supply rails for thier output.Have you closely checked the cpu fan if it is making noise or not running steady it will force the cpu "cops"to shutdown if it is running to slow or intermittenly. You also stated you checked the Hard drives --How did you do this?
Good Luck

Last edited:
Yes I used MemTest86 version 111.

I think I'll run through the tests again, so there's no freezing during the test(s).

Haven't checked the PS rails yet - how exactly is this done? I've got a multimeter handy...

I checked the harddrives by booting up the computer with no power connected to any hard drive and the machine still did not post and the sound was there. (typical problem)

Ok. To check the rails just go into BIOS and go into PC Health Status (you will see the rails there, +5, -5, etc.).

This clicking noise was just mentioned, so let me address that. Basically, since its not the hard drive, it leads me to beleive that it is your PSU. When PSU's are at full load they sometimes can make noises, it might be that. Or it might just be your case vibrating or it may be a fan clicking...who knows really. Once you post the rails it might help us to decide whether to rule out the PSU or not. Good luck!

Matt

Hello again,

Okay - checked out the rails and they are all fine.

Haven't done the mem test again yet, but I have a thought.

Everything was fine before this problem, the only thing i can think of was that i changed some mem timings in the BIOS, but I also changed them back, but the clicking continues.

Will have more info tomorrow

Ran memtest with "Stick A" and it completed 3 rounds of testing succesfully, no problems. Haven't checked the other stick yet, but I'm still pretty sure it isn't the RAM. Will update later.

is it a high pitch whirr like when sometimes your ears just pop and make a high pitch whirring sound.

if so its usualy caused when your system tries to boot too fast and hangs before it can post, generaly this noise comes from the psu i think.

Okay here's some more info using the diagnostic LEDs on the K7D.
4 LEDs - R = red, and G = green.

The computer will either hang with R-R-R-R which according to the manual means the CPU is damaged or installed improperly.

Or it will hang at R-G-R-R which is the memory detection test - will hang if memory module damaged or not installed properly.

If I remove a stick of RAM, it sometimes hangs at G-G-R-R which is decompressing BIOS image to RAM for fast booting.

Once I get it to the G-G-R-R stage, it's a matter of hitting reset X times until it boots up.

Thoughts?

My 2 cents

I hope an K7D man can come online to help you. Without that input I am still wary because you are getting differant error readings that your problem may be a power supply or memory problem.I would check these three possibilities: 1) let memtest completely test all memory sticks and test with a proven stick of ram 2) If possible test with another power supply 3) Try another cpu fan to insure the noise is not the cpu fan not starting up or hanging up during startup thus shutting down your cpu-
Good Luck

Update:

Just for reference, I am watercooled and not air cooled. I'm pretty sure the clicking might just be a noise coming from the 4 diagnostic LEDS, but I can't be sure.

I thought this might help:

Whenever I boot and get the R-R-R-R - the hard drives don't spin up, does this mean it is the power supply and not my RAM?

Also, for the first time ever, the computer posted, then hung and locked up at IDE controller detection. The first time this has happened.

I was about the run out and just buy new RAM, when I thought the above might make a difference.

Thanks for reading and replying

I checked the PS with a multimeter and all voltages are fine.
Also, for the record, I am not overclocked in any way.

Today was really rough to get the comp started, usually enough power downs/power ups/resets and it'll go, but today it didn't look like it. I also tried pulling every single card from the comp.

So as a last ditch effort I tried the FSB jumper. I switched it to 100Mhz from 133Mhz and voila - the system booted.

So I shut it down, switched the jumper back, and now I'm up and running.

So, based on this and the above posts, I'm thinking the problem is not the ram, not the cards, not the drives, not the CPUs, not the PS...

So is it my motherboard?

Any more input is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Okay about 5 minutes after posting the above I was just listening to an MP3 and typing an e-mail and the computer just shut off automatically....all 4 LEDs stayed green though.

I rebooted and am back and running, but I have a feeling this thing is going to die soon, so I'd like to try to figure out what the heck the problem is!

Thanks all

Here are the readings from MBM5:

Case - 31C
CPU - 27
CPU - 27

Core 0 - 1.73V
Core 1 - 2.50V
+3.3 = 3.25
+5.0 = 4.87
+12.0 = 12.28
-12.0 = -12.27
-5.0 = -5.29