• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gutting my hydrocool!! lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crazythunder

i have a new setup, all polarflo blocks and an eheim1260 pump. i was going to hook my corsair hydrocool to my girlfriends pc, but i got to thinking. i really love the huge lcd display on that thing. and, the card that connects it to your system can automatically shutdown pc, unlike all those damn bay monitoring devices. i broke the cpu temp diode off my abit nf7-s. doh!! stupid, tried moving it too much. this is what gave me the idea to gut the hydrocool. i have a new mobo on the way, gonna use the old one as a test machine. i'm going to take out the lcd display panel, and then see how the pump is hooked up to the control card. i'm assuming it's hooked up similar to my criticool powerplant? hopefully. i cant understand why noone makes a similar control card for us watercoolers? i know the bios has a shutdown in it, but i make double backups of all my programs on dvd\r, so i'm obsessed with having a backup to my backup. i'm no electrician, but i'm not braindead either, i do some minor wiring for the contractor i work for. was just hoping i'd be able to get some help out here if i needed it. i'm sure the help will pour in if needed. will be gutting it tonight and setup maybe this weekend seeing as how my new mobo will be here friday. thanks in advance for when i come back asking for help.

Last edited:
nandro, i might need some of your parts after i destroy mine!! hold on to that baby.

ok, first question--( haven't even gutted it yet) the temp probe on the hydrocool cpu block is a two wire and it ends in a little cylindrical metal tube like thing that appears to be soldered to the block. if i cut that and splice in a flat temp probe, do you think the control card would recognize it?

good question. I have no problem gutting mine if I can make use of it. My other thought was to sell it and get an aquarium chiller to make a cooling unit for this beast. My setup has to be virtually silent because it will be used at work as soon as my new video card gets here. I know once I get designing and gaming and stuff that waters gonna get HOT!

ok, i guess my girlfriend gets the hydrocool. the serial plug wires at the back of the hydrocool go to the front of the units circuit board. from that, a red and black wire come back out to the pump. my pump is an eheim1260 with ac plug that is now currently connected to the criticool powerplant. like i said, i'm no electrician. is there any way for me to connect the eheim without having a masters degree?

crazythunder said:
ok, i guess my girlfriend gets the hydrocool. the serial plug wires at the back of the hydrocool go to the front of the units circuit board. from that, a red and black wire come back out to the pump. my pump is an eheim1260 with ac plug that is now currently connected to the criticool powerplant. like i said, i'm no electrician. is there any way for me to connect the eheim without having a masters degree?

no - i'm afraid the pump in the hydrocool is 12V, and that's all that's supplied to the external unit from the circuit board....
http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=256&PageID=3

i guess you mught be able to use a different 12V pump (mcp600?)

well i kinda figured it would not work. i'm not willing to go to another pump yet. just paid a hundred bucks for this one. oh well. sure wish someone would make a relay card that could shutdown the pc. i can't believe noone asks about this stuff. my pc runs when i'm at work sometimes. sure would feel more secure with an extra backup.

You sound like you aren't afraid to mess with stuff- how about replacing the diode?

I haven't replaced one myself, but since the legs stick through the mobo I would think it would be no more difficult than replacing exploded capacitors- and I have done THAT! (Piece of cake, BTW.)

The only trick would be getting the correct diode, I'd think......

replace the diode? possibly, but i'm thinking about using the board for testing components, (i do minor pc work on the side) , or, now i'm thinking maybe just put that board in my girlfriends rig along with the hydrocool. at least i know it would have an emergency shutdown. where the hell would i get one of those diodes? well, i guess that's another post if i go that route. thanks for the help.

Before new thread.....
I just happen to have a dead mobo (already sacrificed caps to save another!) with a thermal diode in it. ;)

YGPM.

there are threads on how to make an emergency shutdown system, very easily, in the overclockers.com forums under tips and reviews. just have to do some reading then visit your nearest rat shack.

i'm no electrician and i'd probably blow up my pc. so i did a few searches and decided to see if i could get one custom made. the one company responded saying he could make "anything" on a custom basis, by the hour. "just give me a call" he said. well i sent another email trying to squeeze a rough estimate out of him. will let anyone who's interested know the final outcome.

this is the url of the site that said they can do anything. http://www.silicore.net he hasn't gotten back to me with a quote. i tried calling long distance # he gave and no answer.? will try again monday. @Nandro--if you're that good with electronics, maybe you could figure out a way to make the criticool powerplant shutdown my eheim? you'd think criticool would have a 2pin header to monitor temps and have the ability to shutdown. i don't see why that's not possible. corsairs unit has a shutdown, even though their unit plugs into the serial port. not sure if that makes any difference. i just get obsessed with certain things and this is one of them. i can't believe a control board like i want wouldn't sell good in the overclocker\watercooling community. maybe it wouldn't, but i still want one. i found this http://www.weathershop.com/temptrax-E.htm#PowerBug and this model- TTRX-FBD TempElert + TempTrax Model F $228.00 is the cheapest. just a little more than i'm willing to spend. and it's still software based. the hydrocool's unit shutsdown without software. that is precicely what i'm looking for. maybe i should just let it go and trust the bios? well, thanks for everyones responses. sure wish i was electronically gifted.

Back