• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's my problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

friedcpu

So I got myself a Barton 2500 expecting it to run easily at 3200+ speeds without me having to muck around too much. No such luck. It wouldn't even boot into windows at 200FSB at stock voltage. Even with vcore cranked to 1.85, very unstable at 200, and it gets too hot anyway. I've managed to get it fairly stable at 196 FSB at 1.75 vcore, but that's it. Not that much different from a 3200+ plus, but it bugs me. :mad:

I'm wondering if it is my memory, but I've ran memtest on it and it appears to be fine. It's Kingston Valueram 3200, but since it is being run at stock speed, it should be OK. I would like to know if there's any way to figure out whether it is the memory or the CPU without having another stick of RAM?

Oh, my mobo is an Albatron KX18D Pro with an nforce ultra 400 chipset.

WELCOME

On average it takes 1.8v's to run stable at 2.2Ghz on a 2500 Desktop CPU...some may need all the way up to 2.1v's to run stable at 2.2Ghz...

well if you would have got yourself a MOBILE barton 2500+ you might be able to overclock to 200Mhz FSB no props but with a normal barton it might not be that easy...

Yeah I have the same problem I bough Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and AMD 2500+ hoping to get it running @ 3200+ but even at 1.85v its unstable windows keeps reseting the second it reaches 54C
:(:(:(

Kastuvas said:
Yeah I have the same problem I bough Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and AMD 2500+ hoping to get it running @ 3200+ but even at 1.85v its unstable windows keeps reseting the second it reaches 54C
:(:(:(

Your main problem is heat issue...54c on a OCed CPU is getting to the point that heat becomes main issue on stability...

BTW - my 351 2500 took 2.1v to run at 2.2Ghz...

Hmm My motherboard can only do 1.85v Don't think its the heat, how come other people don't have any problems @ 60C I must have a lemon :/

Nah...It's always been a rule of thumb when OCing and heat...always keep your temps below 50C...when running past 50c...heat becomes a issue...it causes the CPU to start to error out which in turn makes the CPU unstable...some people get lucky when running past 50c...but if they would of been able to keep there temps below 50c...odds are they would of had a higher OC...

Example...I have the system listed below..I runs a SLK900A w/92mm tornado for cooling...a mod at another forum has the same system (with better ram)...and the same CPU stepping as me...now he runs a Modded Mach 2 system...My OC is what is listed...his OC is slightly over 3Ghz stable...why?...because a Mach 2 system gets a CPU temp to around -20 to -40 and some even colder...so since his temps are so much cooler then mine...his OC is a lot higher then mine...

So running at 54c at boot up could be a heat issue when the CPU gets a load...when BIOS loads up it runs the CPU at 100%...so this would probably make the CPU be hitting 58c+...which in turn just might be too much of a heat stress for the CPU...so the system shuts down...

If you have to bring your 2500+ to 2.1v like suggested to make 2.2Ghz then you have a problem. My 2400+ can run about 2.4 ghz fine with only 1.70v. So yeah it also could be a heat issue, due to the fact that yeah those are a little higher then you would want, but not horrible. What Ram do you have, that is always a limiting factor. I would get better cooling in their anyway, that is higher then it should. I don't have a super special hsf but my temps are 45 deg when gaming for hours.

Run down the specs of your machine if you would that would help.

i heared that the new barton made on 2004 are very poor ,bad overclocker
desktop barton an general can do 11*200=3200+speed easly with default vcore (1.75v max) depand an steppinig maybe u have got one a those
so get a good mobile and hello overlock 2.3~2.6 ghz still possible with them

Back