• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum Heatsink weight for an AMD cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Easybeat

Registered
After recently building my first system I've been bitten by the bug (again!) and have started with some fairly basic mods such as additional case fans etc to reduce the temps before beginning to overclock.
The next step is to get a decent heatsink to replace the stock AMD one that I originally fitted. So I have 2 questions:-

Firstly - I have read that the maximum heatsink weight that AMD recommends to hang off just the clips on the cpu holder is 300gms, is this correct?

Secondly - If so what would be a good heatsink to use? Nearly all of the quality heatsinks I've looked at are 500-700gms.

I am currently using an XP2400 with an ASrock K7VM2 motherboard which I don't believe has any fixing holes on for excess weighted heatsinks so I'm limited to the clip mount.Also my load temps are 42C cpu, 27C case so while acceptable I don't want to overclock just yet and a mobo upgrade will have to wait a few months.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Yeah thats true, AMD's recommended weight for the socket is about that. The sink hanging off mine is about 700grams ;)
I have the board up from yours, the K7VM4 and this one does have the mounting holes but i went for a socket mounting one purely because of budget.

Those load temps are good! What sink are you using? You could always just add a duct to get those temps lower if you want too. A duct could knock another 5°C off that easy.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
...and the sickness :eek:

A pic of your mobo is here:

101521.jpg

You are incorrect... there are mounting holes. It is good that you are concerned with the weight of the HSF you are using. Alot of these tower based HSF are far too heavy to use the standard mounting clips. However since you have mounting holes (the 4 small punch-outs beside the CPU socket) , you can use just about any HSF.

As for a suggestion, the current favorite for pplz who do not have mounting holes, is Thermalright's 900a. But since you have mounting holes, Thermalrights SP97 will also work.

(SP97)
svcompucycle_1789_112230588

(SLK900a)
svcompucycle_1789_98840765

Firstly thanks for the welcome, until a few months ago my last computer was an Atari ST so I guess I'm an old newbie.

Secondly, Ahhhh! I couldn't see the mounting holes for the heatsink, I presumed they would be well outside the size of the chip holder rather than right next to it, this definitely makes life a lot easier.

I'll have to revise my thinking over what heatsink to buy and do a bit of research on that as well as ducting.

Easybeat said:
Firstly thanks for the welcome, until a few months ago my last computer was an Atari ST so I guess I'm an old newbie.

Secondly, Ahhhh! I couldn't see the mounting holes for the heatsink, I presumed they would be well outside the size of the chip holder rather than right next to it, this definitely makes life a lot easier.

I'll have to revise my thinking over what heatsink to buy and do a bit of research on that as well as ducting.

Np.....everyone learns the ropes at some point:cool:. Knowledge is power, feel free to ask such questions any time

Back