• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 64 mobo's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GodlikeX

Hey guys, Im new to the forum (like you didnt know that already). I can see you all cringing right now, thinking to yourself, omg, not another n00b. Sadly, thats what you have on your hands now :)

Im just getting into overclocking (gotta start somewhere) and for my first lamer thread, I have a question about my ASUS K8T800 K8V Deluxe.

First, I guess, my comp specs:

ASUS K8T800 K8V Deluxe
AMD64 3400+
gig Corsair XMS PC4400 DDR550
Radeon 9800pro 256
2x 74gig Raptor in RAID-0
SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
blah
blah
blah

Anyway, not sure if that info is needed, but there it is. I've overclocked my system from 2.2ghz to 2.367 (raised FSB from 200 to 215), and thats the highest I can get it while remaining stable. If I raise the FSB even one more mhz, it crashes (usually after I run a game or benchmark). Now, is it just my mobo (no AGP/PCI clock lock) that is holding me back from OC'ing more? Or is the AMD64 really not overclockable?

Thanks for any/all help in advance. And I appologize if I posted in the wrong forum, but I figured my question breaks down to a motherboard question, so thats where I posted. Thanks again.

My powers of obervation are unrivaled. I just noticed the AMD specific forum for mobos...can a mod move my thread please?

Last edited:
Could be the board, maybe it's an issue with your RAID setup. My best guess would be the A64 is maxing out. What are your temps like? Have you changed the voltages??

Ive upped voltages, still gets unstable. Doubt its my RAID, because I tried first before I got the RAID. And Ive read of others getting 2.6 ghz out of their AMDs...this is what led me to believe its my mobo.

It sure is. The via k8t800 chipset is notorious for not hitting high fsbs. If you get a k8n pro like i did ;) then you can hit 300 mhz fsb alllll day...
Another option, probably better, is to buy the chaintech VNF3-250 on newegg. That uses the nf3-250 chipset, which has guarenteed locks and also runs at 800 mhz HTT. Seems like it would be a great upgrade for you :)
Sell the K8V on ebay....

Alright, thanks, that confirms what I suspected. Next question is, when is ASUS or ABIT gonna release an nForce3 250 board? I know Chaintech (Ive heard) make good stuff. But Im manufacturer loyal. I love my ASUS, and I know they make good stuff, plus its got mad goodies, that Ill prolly never make use of..but its having them that counts..right? :D

i had the Asus board i got rid of it now have the MSI K8T800 Neo far better, running at 220 fsb fine with a 3000

CK

or you could opt for the aopen ak89 max nf3 150 since it has Working pci/agp locks and hits 320+fsb ez.. the chaintech isnt a full featured n3 250 board id either go with the board above or wait until the msi k8n neo plat comes out in a week or so or the asus nf3 250 later this month.

O/C Amd64 3400+ Help Plz!

Still on the same subject can someone clarify these for me? To overclock an Amd64 3400+ to 2.6ghz
1) Will I need some extra colling?
2) Should I O/C by using the nvidia system utility or is there a better method?

I have :
Processor : Amd64 3400+
Motherboard : Chaintech VNF3-250
Video Card : Radeon X800 Pro
Ram : 1024mb ram pc 3200
Running Windows XP Pro

Back