• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2,80C temp TOO HIGH even on idle and no overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bastupungen

Registered
Hello guys!

I have my cousins computer over right now. I am really concerned over this computers temperatures. When i am idle in the BIOS i get an temperature of !!!53!!! degrees celcius. This is with an open case and with all fans on and everthing! My own computer in the same room (also an P4) is on 42-43 when Idle.

When i run Prime95 i get an temp of !!!!!68!!!! degrees. That is WAY to high. I have tried to remove the CPU fan (stock) and clean it and apply thermalgrease. When i did that the temp went down a little but not much. like 2 degrees.

And also when i try to run prime95. the program wont even use 100% of the CPU (like it does on my comp) it only uses 52%!. I dont even want to know what temp the computer will go if it would go 100% CPU usage! (And why doesnt it go 100%?)

Why do i have such an extreme temp? what can i do to fix this?

some comp specs:
P4 2,8ghz C (800 mhz bus)
MSI Neo2 FIS2R
1028 Ram DDR
MSI geforce 4
NOT OVERCLOCKED AT ALL!

i have that same problem my 2.8 without the overclock says 50c but my fan controller says 25c so i guess the motherboard might be wrong i believe my fan controller more cause i have had problems with my other motherboards so i think you could try thermal grease or a better heatsink

try to reapply a thermal paste. seem like its not contacting well. even with stock heatsink it shouldnt be that high.

billiam said:
try to reapply a thermal paste. seem like its not contacting well. even with stock heatsink it shouldnt be that high.

This is very true. The idle temps should be closer to load (depending on how hot it is in the room).

Do this if you have some thermal paste that you can then re apply, take the heatsink off give it and the cpu a good clean. Take some new thermal paste such as AS5 etc. Then reseat the heatsink, making sure that it fits tight and looks right i.e. how it should be, nice and flat etc. (i know that you have already done this but it doesnt hurt to try again)

You can also check for alot of dust in the heatsink and you can could also check to see if it is seated properly. Try and move any wires that are in and around that area blocking the flow of air.

You really don't need better cooling stock heatsink is fine, otherwise why would intel give you a heatsink that wasn't fit for the job?

About the cpu only 52% load, this is because of HyperThreading which comes with a C CPU e.g 2.8C. The cpu is being used alot more than that, so to check temps one instance of prime is ok.

Also how are you checking CPU temps?

Back