• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel : Prescott successor canned? Pentium-M is the future?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stmok

Don't expect the successors of Prescott and Nocona to come...

Intel to formally confirm Tejas canned today
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15760

Intel’s Potomac team gets dissolved
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15768

Future P4/Xeons plans are SCRAPPED!

Looks like Intel is stepping back and re-thinking its future.

(Some of you folks will know that Intel will use the Pentium-M in either multi-core or single core forms as the future CPU...In addition, it will inherent Intel's "AMD64 capability".)

How it overclocks is anyone's guess...It would be interesting to see some of the folks here and Overclockers.com.au overclock a dual-core one... :)

I think this is going to be a good decision on Intel's part. NetBurst architecture is about as far as it will go, so they needed to start looking elsewhere. Hopefully, since they've announced the cancelation of these projects, they've found something that is putting them in the right direction (Pentium M).

I get the feeling that the next big thing of computers is going to be more aesthetic. Smaller cheaper personal computers, more like laptops, tablet PCs are all the rage(Justifiably so) cell phones are now PDAs and vice versa, perhaps they might be right, you could always run two low-output processors(at a cost, but if these new chips are designed to be affordable...) and call it a day.

This is pretty exciting.

Oh yeah
<obligatory.Wrong forum.</obligatory>

It's funny in an odd sort of way, because the P-M is like a souped up PIII more then anything else.

That is correct, a Pentium-M is a direct relative of the Pentium-III...Its is based on it but was designed to be a much improved mobile platform, and both are decendents of the P6 architecture. Why scrap a good thing?

The P6 architecture is gonna be back again! (into mainstream desktops and servers)...Kinda funny isn't it? Intel leaves this architecture only to come back to it a couple of years later.

What Intel shouldn't have done was scrap the original P7 project in favour of the NetBurst architecture. (now Net-about-to-be-Bust). I bet they're regretting it now...

I thank myself for being super-patient and not investing in a P4-based product. (I was tempted at one time, but I'm glad I didn't).

I'm standing by my current PIII/P-M setups, until the time comes to invest in a multi-core Pentium-M...Or maybe an Opteron...Maybe both! ( I've got all these dual PIII mobos I can sell off in the future...See my sig below. :) )

I'm probably going to give in at some point and get a NetBurst Xeon system.

At least Intel isn't being stuck-up *******s about their poor decision (i hope).

Hooray! More competition! If the next processor is based on the Pentium-M, could The Pentium 5 be clocked lower than the P4? It's a possibility! :eek:

Oh man I cant wait!!!!!!

Im gonna have to can my p4 now too though :(. I need a PC for college, my p4 is decent but I rather upgrade to a Pentium M style chip.

i've done some research on the penitum M, it's really an amazing little chip, so much performence for such little power. If it becomes available on desktops i'll consder switching to intel, it'll be about ten years since i've owned an intel.

smart move in the long run for intel but its going to be pretty nasty lead for amd for at least a year if not much longer while intel catches up.

very interesting, but not very suprising. one has to wonder how AMD is doing with its 90nm process, i mean, we could see a total reversal of roles here, with intel trying to sell lower clocked chips and AMD potentialy hitting 3ghz!

And the p6 can be traced back to the Ppro, Damn intel is really going way back.

Well, AMD will be going Dual Core next year too...but the advantage AMD has is that K7 was developed with Dual Core from day 1....

How is Intel going to manage bandwidth concerns with Dual cores and the current bus limitations? Not unless Intel follows AMD again with the onboard memory controller...

mamisano said:
Well, AMD will be going Dual Core next year too...but the advantage AMD has is that K7 was developed with Dual Core from day 1....

How is Intel going to manage bandwidth concerns with Dual cores and the current bus limitations? Not unless Intel follows AMD again with the onboard memory controller...

But they will call it somthing different and clame they invented it.

i don't think dual cores are really going to be that great. i mean, microsoft definitely doesn't want to write for dual core support, that'd mean practically starting longhorn over. not that i care, since i've gone linux.

and even if microsoft manages to support it, very few apps will be written to utilize it.

I agree with you about the memory controller, as bus speed is a big limitation these days. I do think that in the end it will be a good thing, intel scrapping Presshot and tejas. But think how much money has been waisted....

Back