• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel : Prescott successor canned? Pentium-M is the future?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mamisano said:
So basically Intel is going to be running an AMD Clone...... LMFAO!!!!

No, theyre just going to go back to their roots. I liken it to the Redskins getting back Joe Gibbs. Just go back to what worked. Remember the days when AMD was the company that had the overheating, powerhogging chips?

funnyperson1 said:

No, theyre just going to go back to their roots. I liken it to the Redskins getting back Joe Gibbs. Just go back to what worked. Remember the days when AMD was the company that had the overheating, powerhogging chips?

Yes I do, but they did not have to go back to the K5 to fix it.

Dual core would be no different then dual processor (or hyperthreading). You shouldn't need any software changes.

Multi-threaded apps would be nice all around 'tho.

Death to NetBurst! I can't wait for the once again super efficient, FPU x87 strong P6 Microarchitecture to once again hit desktops. :)

This raises a few questions. First... will Socket 775 be the socket of choice, or will Intel once again find a reason to swap sockets?

Seeing as both Prescott/Northwood & Banias/Dothan are using AGTL+ bus protocol's, transitioning the CPU over to FCPGA 478 shouldn't be too difficult.

Hopefully we can look forward to a healthy FSB speed (right now, sitting at 400 MHz QDR).

However, the best part has got to be the very small electrical draw these babies take!

31.164 W (0.13 µm @ 1700 MHz @ 1.484 V @ 100 C)

Considering that it's a very efficient/powerful CPU, things are looking up at the Intel camp. If executed correctly, Intel's got a real winner on their hands :)

Yes, if done correctly, it's possible that these things would be able to overclock well.

im very interestd in seeing the pentium-m processors, and how they will compeite with the current high end p4 processors on the desk top version.. but imo, i still think the the AMD 64 is the way to go now

tomchong said:
very interesting, but not very suprising. one has to wonder how AMD is doing with its 90nm process, i mean, we could see a total reversal of roles here, with intel trying to sell lower clocked chips and AMD potentialy hitting 3ghz!

Satan...erm, Intel, will have a hard time explaining that one :mad:

I'd like to see RISC computing from Intel in the next ten years, perhaps with x86 emulation mode. :attn:

Captain Newbie said:
I'd like to see RISC computing from Intel in the next ten years, perhaps with x86 emulation mode. :attn:
I predict they'll call it Itanium, but the masses won't like it because the x86 emulation won't be that great.

It looks like AMD is having the same problems with 90nm as Intel.

Apparently, there's some inherent issue (power leakage) with the process going from 130nm to 90nm which no one has been able to correct.

Socket T will supposedly stay, I read somewhere- and there's no reason to can it, if Prescott can do both 478 and 775, why not Dothan/future P-M?

One thing that always intrigued me about the P-M was the low wattage- I wonder how much more OCing flexibility we'll have now that architecture, not heat, is more of an issue.

Ahhh c'mon, I know people that have been saying that netburst is more of netbust since the first P4, among those, Van Smith. Now people are like ahh, yeah I saw it coming, I mean its obvious that pentium M its better. blah. P4$$ has always been a poor architecture, unbalanced.

Gregory_WE said:
It looks like AMD is having the same problems with 90nm as Intel.

Apparently, there's some inherent issue (power leakage) with the process going from 130nm to 90nm which no one has been able to correct.

never read a single report that suggested AMD has trouble with the 90nm tech, besides it being a little late, which is not the same as the mess Intel has right now. Remember that AMD decided to go SOI, or was it SOI/Strained Silicon? well anyway SOI is there to adress the exact same problem Intel has right now. Intel didnt want to license or for whatever reason they didnt go SOI. I say Intel just guaranteed some 18months of AMD on top.
whats the big deal with dual core and Intel, hammer is dual core ready since the first day, and if the word of AMD CEO is to be believed, they will be pin compatible... I believe its true, I mean one thing is to say that the CEO said that by this or that year there will be this chip that its 3times faster, than to say something so concrete about a current product, as Hector said recently.

I believe Ed linked to an article that explained that AMD, IBM, and Intel were all admitting at some level to be having the exact same problem going to 90nm because of signal integrity. Doesn't look like SOI is having any effect on that.

Intel didnt want to license or for whatever reason they didnt go SOI.

IBM likes to do IP trades, all your IP for all my IP. intel refused, thus they couldn't use SOI.

This is great news for us IMO, intel watched AMD redline up their rearend for the past 12 months, intel tried their best to outrun AMD but saw the little guy was hungry this time and for sure was gonna pass them by-

and this is with a 36 month future roadmap intel had set foward,like i told you guys last year, this will be the year that shows where technology will take us for the next decade-

intel running scared from AMD forced them to make a U-Turn but because of the lead they had, they knew it was the right decision because AMD is still riding that momentum it has to rampNshrink pass intel but is gonna smack that wall intel just did-

ill admit i yawned when i heard about pentium_M but now it makes more sense and is very exciting to me,AMD's aggressive pricing as of late also makes me think they knew intel would run into problems at this point of the race-

oh well, it all looks very interesting,looks like intel will be the first to launch dual-core technology which will keep its share-holders happy and its"hype" marketable-

the prices will remain the same between the two companies because the dual-core chips wont be cheap, and AMD demands a certain respect from the industry with its premium pricing-

intel still ownz in market shares which AMD dont but they could change that if they lost their high price policy, that alone would tilt the balance because its oem that keep these companies in business-

On the dual core thing...

If the next opterons are to be dual-core with same pin compatability as the old opterons, that's awesome. But remember, the FX is basically an opteron for the desktop. Does that mean dual-core FX?

Freddie said:
I agree with you about the memory controller, as bus speed is a big limitation these days. I do think that in the end it will be a good thing, intel scrapping Presshot and tejas. But think how much money has been waisted....

Intell has wasted only the consumers money .. the stock holders,CEO and others still have all there cash..

I wonder what happened at the chip giant to force it to turn tail and run backwards ?

Chowdy said:
On the dual core thing...

If the next opterons are to be dual-core with same pin compatability as the old opterons, that's awesome. But remember, the FX is basically an opteron for the desktop. Does that mean dual-core FX?

the FX wont be s940 anymore once s939 launches.

Back