• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.6 p4 or legendary 1800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

First, I'm not even sure if this is the right forum to put this is... if it isn't please move it admin.

I need some help in deciding on this. Currently, I have the cpu/mobo in my sig (unoverclocked but should do about 2.6+ on water). Now I am debating on whether or not I should trade my 1800 and Infinity for a friends 2.6 with ht and his IC7-G Max2. I should go a little further into depth.

My current wc system is a standard chevette heater core with a hydor l30, amd white watter, z-chip, and maze4 gpu. If I trade with him, we will also swap cpu waterblocks (part of the trade is I set a wc system up for him) and I will have the p4 rbx with all the nozzels.

Soon, hopefully within a month, I will be buying two fedco 2-342 cores and running them in series with a via aqua 1300 and just cooling the cpu (better temps and good cooling should I want to buy pelt stuff later). I will plan on running 3/4 tubing on all but the waterblock (reduced after the second hc: res>pump>rad>rad>cpu>res) with a reducer after the second rad. When I build this I will run the eheim on a second loop with the chevette core for gpu/northie.

All my other componts are going to go into the intel system should I get it. The board would also be volt modded with hipro5's all in one mods and a reconstructed vtt circuit. My Infinity would be completely unmodded unless someone found out how to stablize the vcore fluctuations.

What I'm really looking for here is bandwidth, which the p4 can support however I'm not sure of the capabilites and specifications the the cpu I would be recieving. The person whom I would be aquiring it from said that he had it up to 3.5 I believe with some heatsink unbeknownst to me but I think that's a lie. I've had my current cpu up to si-soft sandra pr of 3800 just messing around (not stable - just seeing).

Well - now it's time for your guy's (or girls, let's not be sexist here) opinions. Please no amdroids or p4 fanatics saying stuff like LOLZORZ or LOLORSKATES!!! THAT ___ WILL PWN THE OTHER COMBO!!!1111

Thanks.

If HiPro is going to touch the IC7 with all his voltmods, plus your water cooling, I'd say the ol' 2.6 has a great chance of hitting 3.5+... My 2.4C at 3.5ghz is pretty damned fast, mostly because I can run the ram at 1:1.

Does that mean it's faster than your AMD rig? Dunno, couldn't say. The massive memory bandwidth only helps certain things, and not by a huge amount necessarily. Flip a coin :p

That depends on several things, pat. First off, how are you getting the 1800+ to 2.6? Using high FSB or using high mults?

I think that the P4 will be you best bet, since you're starting off at 200FSB and going up from there. The Athlon starts at 100 FSB (or 133, not sure and too lazy to check), so to get the same bandwith, you'd require a lot more OC.

Also, when you voltmod the IC7, you open up a whole new world of fun, especially with a decent water cooling rig. :D

The choice is ultimately up to you and up to what you intend to use it for, but for memory-intensive apps such as gaming or multimedia, I'd take the P4. :p

If your sure that it goes to 3.5 stable then go for it :D. I say that because the 2.6's are known for maxing out at 3.25 :)

I have owned both sides of the coin, and I personally would have to prefer the Intel side, but only because I got it for a good deal. For those on a budget, AMD is the way to go.

My 2.4C is at 2.8, but i'm running 2100 ram. This setup feels faster than my old amd rig, which was a 1700+ running at 2.3 ghz using Twinmos 3700 ram.

It's sounding like the 2.6 is the way to go but I'd appreciate a little more response (I should expect more since the last post was what - 1.5 hours after I posted?!). Thanks!

First I would want proof that the P4 was capable of 3.5 GHz. Some will do it, some won't. Now to reach that, provided it would actually do that, would need a 270 MHz FSB. If your RAM can handle that, then great.

But bear in mind that you could probably achieve the same FSB using your current rig. I'd imagine you would get at least 250 MHz, and you do have unlocked multipliers. 2.5 GHz is doable, higher possibly.

Having those unlocked multipliers makes the limiting factor on any OC the RAM and mobo generally (sure PSU and cooling etc do come into play I suppose), with an Intel chip and current AMDs, the limiting factor can also be the CPU.

Personally I would stay with your current rig, and work on it. You will probably achieve the same sort of FSB speeds and can adjust the CPU to suit. The bottom line as I see it is that you already have a high performance system, you stand to gain very little in all likelihood and there are some serious doubts over how good the new parts would actually be.

I don't like that doubt, maybe some pictures or benchmarks would alleviate my fears, but I'd still worry a bit.

True my sig may be an AMD, but I also have Intel's. I'm partial to performance (when balanced with the hassle), not brands.

i think withyour setup u can t go wrong
dfi ultra infinity with high capability of overclock (fsb)250+
a high end cpu like 1800 dltc (2.4-2.6) with air cooling still possible
so i cant beleive the high performance givin with ood water cooling setup and high fsb like 260*10 or 260*10.5
agreed that you will not get the memory brandwith of the p4 but
your setup still better at least in gaming
there is really no huge of performance between the two setup (depand in use)but i suggest to get the 1800+ for the pleasure of the overclock (multip,msb....)
edit:u must first to be sure for this cpu some dltc are not high end cpu in oc (i had one that only do 2.2ghz with 1.85vcore)
u will sure do better if u can get some of those mobile barton with good settp
u will not go wrong sure (2.7ghz,2.8ghz,2.9ghz.... :) )

Back