• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a new PSU, need some help choosing...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey guys,
I fried my beloved Forton 350w so I need a new machine.
I don't have many chioces cause I'm in Israel right now and I don't want to import a PSU from the US nor Europe.

So here are my choices:
1. Antec, I can afford the 480w version.
2. Thermaltake, I heard that the 420w Apfc can be modded and get higher rails with just a pot inside the PSU, this sounds attractive. I can also afford the 480w which can't be modded like the 420w.
3. Enermax, These PSU are really pricey here, so I'd like to avoid'em.
4. Zalman, also really costy, something I'd like to avoid.

Thanks for your comment.

Suma.

Hmm..
I thought you'd say that.

Do you think that the Antec 480w will be better then a modded
TT 420w ?

Thx.

Any "Modding" is simply cranking the voltage higher maunally, the True Controls does it automatically. (And with PSUs, higher voltages aren't always better; you should always have the rail as close to it's rating as possible.) Besides, Antec PSUs have a higher build quality than TT (not to mention the higher wattage rating).

Hmm.. Ok
I see that, anyways, I'm gonna borrow and mod a friend's TT 480w and see what it can do.

Thanks,
Suma.

Suma said:
Hmm..
I thought you'd say that.

Do you think that the Antec 480w will be better then a modded
TT 420w ?

Thx.

Should have no problem doing so... the Antec will have better build quality, and more output capacity. In general, I find all Sirtec made units like the Thermaltakes to be average quality regardless of their power output. In the list, I would put Zalman as my second choice being Fortron made (for price reasons only - Fortron is otherwise my own preferred brand); and the Enermax Noisetakers would be my third choice.

Actually that one would be a close tie for me... the Fortron unit Zalman uses is an old design though very well built with huge heatsinks, and the 'taker is more efficient. Fortron build quality is higher than Enermax - rarely do I hear of a Fortron dying, while I still see some complaints about Enermax around the net (though they seem to be improving lately).

The problem I have with the Enermax units is that they have trouble meeting their full output power at normal operating temperatures - most are rated at 80% of full power at 40 degrees or so, and though the Noisetakers don't really specify that on their spec sheet; a recent review by SilentPCReview leads me to believe they're the same as the rest of the Enermax lineup. Enermax is decent, but I tend to look at the next higher model compared to an equivalent Fortron when considering them. Fortron tends to be underrated, while Enermax is overrated in terms of the specs.

Ok, I think I'm just gonna get an Antec TP 550w
It's not so pricy and I can afford that.

Thanks anyway man,
Suma.

Iv been reading about that Psu aparetly you can change the Voltages on the thing, but not like the Truepower, From what i read you have the open the psu itself and use like a screw driver to adjust the voltages or something like that.

Since im very impatiant and cant wait 3-4 ays for delivery online for a truecontrol , im ganna go buy a truepower psu locally

I just got the Antec 550 truepower, tiss an amzing Psu, my 12v and 5v Rails stay the same idle or max load, my 3.3v goes from 3.28 to 2.26 alot but other the nthat under load it stays the same as it idle.

This is the best psu iv ever had and its like so silent u will almost think the fans arent even working. I do suggest you get the Truecontrol so u can change voltages.

Unless ur like me and cant for aweek for shipping, so i just got mine locally.

3.26? that sux man.
I was hoping to get 3.3v+
I think I need 3.4v to get this ram stable, so I'll mod it anyway, it's not a hard mod.

I'm getting the 550w TP too. Btw, how's the 12v rail?

Suma.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Actually that one would be a close tie for me... the Fortron unit Zalman uses is an old design though very well built with huge heatsinks, and the 'taker is more efficient. Fortron build quality is higher than Enermax - rarely do I hear of a Fortron dying, while I still see some complaints about Enermax around the net (though they seem to be improving lately).

The problem I have with the Enermax units is that they have trouble meeting their full output power at normal operating temperatures - most are rated at 80% of full power at 40 degrees or so, and though the Noisetakers don't really specify that on their spec sheet; a recent review by SilentPCReview leads me to believe they're the same as the rest of the Enermax lineup. Enermax is decent, but I tend to look at the next higher model compared to an equivalent Fortron when considering them. Fortron tends to be underrated, while Enermax is overrated in terms of the specs.

the noisetaker series appear to be a completely different beast, the best low noise, high efficiency psu as of now:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article149-page1.html

Back