• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is to hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jess1313

9800 Pro ATI 128 samsung mem. How hot is to hot for this card. I am getting 51 idle & 58 in gaming. It is over clocked & I do have better cooling but I dont want to over do it.

Yea I would kinda like some #s not how hot is it when touched.

Mine runs hot.
Don't know the exact temps but hot enough for me to get one these and strongly considering getting one of these.
I dont o/c it either.

are artifacts the result of overclocking or overheating?

Artifacts can result from overheating when overclocking.
Hope that helps.

Avg said:
are artifacts the result of overclocking or overheating?
Can happen from either. Overclocking generates more heat and increases the chance of the card overheating. Artifacts are simply bits that "flipped the wrong way". If your CPU "artifacted", you'd atleast fail P95 and with noticable artifacts you'd get the BSOD if your computer would even boot at all...

So the only way to know If I reached the highest overclock on my card is to get it coller eventhough I get artifacts when I set it to 430/380?

You are able to increase you OC when you decrease the temp of the GPU core @ a given Vcore. There is a Max OC with whatever Voltage and Cooling you are running. You above the Max OC on your card with the cooling you have. Back the clockspeed down a notch, or invest in better cooling. When you have exhausted the gains improved cooling yields, you may then wish to do a voltage mod to increase your OC. I highly doubt you'll get to that point.

BTW, the optimal temp. for a CPU to run at is -178c as found by IBM. You really need a 3-stage Cascade to accomplish that.

yeah or colder as that is when it starts to become a super conductor we were messing with LN2 and superconducter in Physics the other day.

Dukemurmur said:
yeah or colder as that is when it starts to become a super conductor we were messing with LN2 and superconducter in Physics the other day.
Lucky

I haven't even used a bunsen burner and I'm almost out of the 9th grade... In adv. Chem I currently and already passed "Conceptual Physics" which is an advanced class too.

ok for example would 65c be ok with 1.8gpu volts, and 450 clock.....

ps thats full load...

Back