• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7n400pro2 problem again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobbacringo

Registered
I have my board hooked up witha 2500 barton and an antec cooler suitable for stock clock speeds. Of which is the only thing I want to run at right now. My problem is I can get the mobo up and running except that my screen never comes up. The fans all go, the LED's all flash but the monitor just sits there like a dumb black box that taunts me day and night.... just like my old TV did, but we don't talk about him anymore.

What up with my p00ter?

ga7n400pro2 rev. 1.0 , barton 2500, 1 gig kingston cheapo stix 3200. ati rad 9k pro.

bobbacringo,

What power supply are you running, and per the label on the psu, what is the output for the 12v, 5v, and 3v??

Have you tried removing the cmos battery for a period of time, re inserting and holding the insert key while powering up?

Laterz,
3sixes -aka- dafan"MOM"man:cool:

3sixes said:
bobbacringo,

What power supply are you running, and per the label on the psu, what is the output for the 12v, 5v, and 3v??

Have you tried removing the cmos battery for a period of time, re inserting and holding the insert key while powering up?

Laterz,
3sixes -aka- dafan"MOM"man:cool:

The power unit is fine. 12 5 and 3.5 i think. Not looking at it.

I tried the battery, no help.

I noticed that if I put the ram into the wrong slot it wouldn't even run. So I figure the orange is the dual channel stuff? I also thought that maybe I had to run more than one ram stick (using pc2100 kingston money pinchers at the moment 256mb ones), so I tried putting two in the purple slots, but still no video came up.

For video I using ATI rage pro. Yeah, that really old one. Tried with my radeon 9k pro but didn't do anything different.

Maybe the mobo is trash? There a sure fire way to check for that?

bobbacringo,

The common issues with the giga nforce2 boards are:

Power supply
Incompatilbe ram (yes the orange are d/c and the blue are d/c)
Heat sink not seated properly on the socket
12v 4 pin power connector not plugged in

Sorry i didnt post this for you before http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=266766
Perhaps you can find some answers there.

I would again stress that if your psu is inadequate, youre gonna have problems..

laterz,
3sixes, aka dafanman

I know the power unit fine because I've run another 7n400 pro 2 on it. Just trying to set up the "family's" computer right now... lousy money grubbers....

Thanks for the post.

Finally got around to working on mobo again, thanks to semester finals and stuff. Weee, I graduated. Anyhow, I got bios to boot finally. A friend had to trip cmos battery or something, whatever he did, it works. I have a new problem however now.

Bios boots, I can change settings and stuff. I'm running pc2100 ram at the moment so the chip says it's 1900+. No biggy.

Here's my problem. The pooter sees my harddrive in IDE slot 1, and i can see the volume of it and stuff in bios. BUT when it's time to boot windows I get the Please Wait for IDE scan thing. Then it goes through some crap asking me if I want to use the SATA raid stuff, which I don't so I don't hit anything. Then I get some stuff on how I want to boot windows. Safe, safe with prompt, etc.

When I choose one to boot, files start loading and stuff, and then the computer just restarts. I saw the XP start up screen appear once before it restarted. I really don't know what the deal is.

I hooked the HD into the computer i'm using now, and it booted fine. I'm running off of it right now. I don't understand this at all.

Arg, any help? Perhaps a setting in bios or something?

bios f5 i saw somewhere in there.

well first it sounds like you need to disable the sata raid and ata raid in the bios ... and then make sure you have the hdd plugged into the ide0 slot and have it selected in the boot sequence in the bios ...

I'd also start in the bios- load fail safe defaults then turn things off from there. Did this puter ever work? I had an issue with mine (post here) where my Nvidia driver was corrupt after my brother did me a favor by updating Windows (we won't go there).

Mine also booted like yours did (boot windows. Safe, safe with prompt, etc.)The nvatabus.sys - is missing or corrupt error only showed a few times, so if you missed it, you'd now get the booting your seeing now.

After 3 weeks of trying to save my newly installed programs, I had no choice but to restore the gigabyte back up- which worked like a charm. Hopefully you've done this, and can restore theirs & go on your way.

You should be able to take their HD out & back it up to your computer if there is anything on there that they need (email etc.)

Good luck

i KNOW i'm getting spacey on how often I check things... but...

Did you just say I have to reinstall windows?

You say the hard drive boots fine in your system- you didn't happen to set the HD up using your system then put it in theirs once you were done?

Can you post all of the specs for this rig you are setting up including what antec cooler? You don't say what brand power supply, nor the wattage. Did the puter ever boot up in their box? Also please post what dimm slots you are using for the ram. I think I would use the PC2100 to start. In addition to this, please post the ram size- if your using 1 stick PC2100- 256mb & 1 PC2100 128mb- let us know that. Some times even the stupidest little details help.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm saying that it is a possiblity that something is corrupt & that you may have to reinstall windows. I think redoing everything is a good place to start since you say parts work in other machines. Be sure to set their box up & keep everything in their box- no using your machine to set it up.

On your MB there is a switch over the vid card- it should be set to auto.
Ram should be in the orange slots- dimm 1 for 1 stick; 1 & 3 for 2 sticks. In my manual ram is on page 21.
CPU fan- check to make sure it is on right, there may be too much or not enough thermal paste.

1. Clear CMOS
2. make sure everything is set to load fail-safe defaults, then save. Go back in and check every entry- especially Advanced BIOS features. According to my manual, your MB should be about the same. Under Flexible AGP 8x- is yours set to auto? Init display first- is it set to AGP? Advanced chipset features- I'd leave everything at default for now. Now- according to my manual, you may not see all the settings you need for the raid. On the main bios screen, hit CTRL+F1. Now, when you enter the sub-menus, there will be more options available. Under integrated peripherals- you should now be able to disable the raid if you did the CTRL+F1 thing. If your not using things like the game port- disable it. I wouldn't change anything under PC Health- leave it at default. I'd then save & exit.
3. See if it boots now. If not, I'd yank the drive out & back it up, then plug it back in and format the drive. Be sure you check connections on everything. If something isn't seated properly you'll have problems. Be sure the HD is on IDE 1, CD drive on IDE 2. You do not need to have any extras hooked up (DVD drive, zip, etc)- just the basics. Install Windows, hopefully it will boot. If it boots, insert your gigabyte CD & load drivers. Be sure while your in the control panel to go under system, advanced tab, startup & recovery option, click the settings button, then under system failure, uncheck automatically restart.

Depending on how you loaded drivers from the CD the last time you set the board up, instead of just putting the CD in & letting it install what it needs to, you can install from device manager. Where ever you see something that isn't installed, right click- update driver. I found I could track possible problems doing it that way cause every now & then I got an unsigned driver message.

If you go to Windows update to update drivers, do not update the NVIDIA Corporation multimedia software update. I believe this is what did mine in, altho I haven't gotten a straight answer from my brother if he updated it.

Be sure you have the correct drivers for the ATI card. From memory you only need the Catalyst drivers. Hubby runs a 9600 with none of the extra software, only the main vid drivers.

I know it sounds like a lot to do, but at this point I don't really see any other option. You've used other cards with the same problem- who knows maybe a conflicting driver still installed? If you did set their HD up using your board- that could be your problem & why it boots in your rig.

Also, another thing to check- had this happen to me. For some reason my BIOS was booting to the backup & not the main. Be sure this stays set right.

Hey- congrats on graduating & Happy Birthday! :bday:

I reinstalled windows and it works now. Thank you for all of your patience and help.

Now I gotta figure out why it's stuck reading the chip as xp 1100 instead of 1900 as it used to when I tried to run pc2100 on it.

pc2100 2x 256mb kingston cheapo stix.

To get your chip recognized correctly you need to set the multiplier dip switches on the board all to off and make sure the frequecy switch is set to auto (not 100). Also bios version F9 is now available from gigabyte so you might want to download it and flash your bios to get things running as smoothly as possible.

There are settings in the BIOS for FSB speed. My 2600+ only registers correctly if the FSB speed is set to 166MHz. As far as I can tell, this is not actually the FSB speed that it runs at.

:thup: WooHoo! :clap: Glad you got it to boot!

It could be a few things with your 2500- let's start in the Bios-
Advanced Chipset Features
1. System Performance- Optimal
2. FSB Frequency- 133 Mhz - change to 166
3. Memory Frequency- By SPD

Next Frequency/Voltage Control- all entries should be set to Normal

In the control panel, device manager, I know there is a windows update for the processor, have you right clicked it and updated the driver? I think this was what fixed my 3200 Barton when I used PC2100.

Do you know what BIOS number your running?

ClarkKent- To get your chip recognized correctly you need to set the multiplier dip switches on the board all to off
we have hubby's all set to on- his is reading everything correctly- even with PC2100. We weren't exactly sure what it was for so we left it alone.

If you go here, you can see the dip switches, it also tells about FSB. Right now we have the blue one on the top all set to "on". Over the Vid card you'll see another switch- is that set to on also?

Let us know how you make out. I'd get the computer booting & showing everything correctly before updating the BIOS. The reason for this is cause I had a really bad experience updating mine. If you do update it, do one at a time, just in case the BIOS update stops it from booting. You'll be able to boot from the back up BIOS. Are you planning to use the Gigabyte back up utility? I highly recommend it. If for some reason once you get this up & running and you have driver problems, the backup will save you from reinstalling windows & the updates.

Back