• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 overclock problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Piercex181

Registered
Hey, I apologize in advance for any dumb questions or if this has been answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find an answer yet, and I'm new to overclocking. I have an AMD fx8350 on a 990fxa-ud3 rev.3. My problem is if I try to go above 1.4V it automatically throttles 6 out of 8 cores to around 1.4MHz. When I started overclocking I was testing with Prime95 and everything seemed stable at 4.5MHz and 1.380V, but when playing games the performance is noticeably better but I'm getting crashes and hardlocks that I didn't get before, and when I up the voltage one increment higher it throttles the 6 cores. I've read all kinds of forums claiming stability at 1.45V so I'm not sure what's going on. I know my motherboard has had problems with the VRM and northbridge heatsinks, I've added fans to them to help with cooling and HWMonitor readings are all fine. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Load with Prime95 and provide some screen shots of your temps please. Open Cpu-z tabs cpu, memory and lets have a look. Use your max stable settings please.

SS.png
Temps are a few degrees higher then they were with my previous tests, not sure why. It didn't break 50 before. Also just noticed the voltage is going higher then the 1.38 I set it to..

Yea the temps look pretty decent IMO. Shouldn't be doing this throttling deal. But then again, it's not the greatest motherboard on the OC planet either.

I'd ask about Bios revision. Has this ever been updated?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it looks as if Cpu-z reports accurate speeds. I wonder if HWMonitor is bugged. 22.5 x 200 doesn't make 4680mhz. It looks like all cores are doing the same speed as well.

Perhaps try a different monitor. Try HWinfo64 and see what the readings look like there.

Note: I've had issues with HWmonitor getting funny after some time with temp readings while using W10 and AIsuite.

Yes, I've updated the bios to the most recent version. Wish I had done more research on the board before I bought it, since then I've seen a lot of people having problems with it. Since I posted that screenshot the voltage and the multiplier throttled, I forgot that I hadn't increased the voltage in the bios until after my original post, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

I had only gotten the multiplier up to 22.5 and ran prime for an hour with no problems, only had trouble when gaming.

I'm wondering if the problem is it keeps raising the voltage past what I set it to in the bios. I've read the voltage isn't stable past 1.5, and I have it set to 1.38 and it's raising it to around 1.42, so when I set it higher is it raising it higher? Here's the readings so far.
ss2.png

It may be raising higher if LLC is on auto. This is normal activity to keep the processor stable. A little extra voltage isn't always a bad thing......

From here, it looks good. No major jumps or drops in speed or voltage. I haven't seen a throttle in any of your depictions as of yet.

LLC? Not exactly sure what that is, sorry. I was showing screenshots of my most stable settings as asked, or what I thought was stable. It was during the prime tests anyway, but I was running into crashes during gaming when I didn't up the voltage, and when I did I had the throttling. Give me a couple minutes to set the bios like I had it and I'll show you.

And of course now that I try to show what is going on my computer is going to call me a liar. Sort of. It's not doing what it was before.
ss4.png

That screen shot looks like either cool and quiet is enabled or C1E is enabled or both. Check and be sure they are disabled. Also be sure windows is not in some power saving mode as well.

LLC is called Load Line Calibration. It increases the Cpu v-core slightly while under load to increase stability and prevent low volt hang ups.

Blue screen and crashes are generally a result of bad memory timing set up or low memory voltage.

Another question is what is the power supply you are using? Make and model please.

Ah, sorry, should have known that, was just looking that up not too long ago. cool and quiet, apm, c1e, c6 and all that is disabled. Psu is Thermaltake SMART Series SP-650PCBUS 650W.

Last edited:
FC bios is broken and APM does not turn off, there was FDc (beta) that fixed my throttling issue.
I`s recommend using it. :)
FDk is the latest but i dunno how it`s like, since FDc fixed all my issues. :)

Like Tung says REV3 of that board was notorious for throttling. You need a bios that has APM and HPC if possible.

Here is the FDc bios. Give it a try. :)

Attachments

• BIOS_990FXA-UD3_3.0_FDc.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
I'm using FDk currently, it has APM and HPC in the bios. I'll give FDc a shot, if that doesn't work I suppose I'll just make do until I can get a new board.

First try it with HPC enabled have you done theat?

Back