• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Completely out of answers please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbird

I’m trying to fix a Compaq Presario 6000, and the only problem that I’m having right now is that it keeps shutting down, then it will power up and shut down within 2 seconds and repeat this until I pull the plug. My daughter’s teacher said it started doing this about a week ago. The computer specs

P4 2.53
PC2100 Infenion (sp)
New WD Jb800 hard drive
Generic CD Rom
HP DVD Recorder
Generic Modem
XP Pro
Generic PS

What I’ve done

1. fresh install of XP on a new WD hard drive, also tried to install on the original Samsung drive, up until it reboots, and says unable to find operating system.

2. tried new Antec 300 watt PS

3. installed new hard drive

4. reseated ram

5. reseated video card

6. unplugged all drives and still it turns on and off repeatedly until I pull the plug

7. aimed Colt revolver at it and pulled the trigger

8. patched the holes

You guys have always helped me out before so lets please put all that knowledge to work and fix my problem.

Thanks Karl

PS Im at work so Ill be visiting the forums off and on all day.

it sounds to me like the only thing you did not test was the motherboard. i'm not sure if motherboards can do what you are describing, but it sounds like you have cleared all the other suspects. this may not have helped a lot, but it's what i was thinking.

Thats just what I didnt want to hear:p that part gives me the most work to do. I have an Abit TH7II and 512 of rambus. Her 2.53 should run just fine on that board right?

Thanks

ok this is really weird, after I switched the fan connections and by moving the cpu fan to the regular case fan connection on the MB and connected the case fan to the CPU fan connection on the MB it stopped turning off and on:) can anyone explain this?

The motherboard model # is MS-6577 Version 2.1

Im not to confident it will last but Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Wishful thinking it started doing it again:mad:

Last edited:
What has probably happened is the RPM sensor line on the fan has stopped reporting RPMs. It happens very, very rarely, without the fan dying. The best fix is to replace the fan with a similar or better fan with an RPM sensor.

Since it started again, it may not be the fan sensor, but the detection circuitry on the MB. Try letting it cool off and then go into the BIOS and see if there are options to disable the CPU fan sensor. I'd probably replace the fan as well, just to be safe.

Hopefully, this will work out for you. The TH7II only supports 400FSB processors and the 2.53Ghz is a 533FSB unit.

Last edited:
Back