• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

borging peoples comps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rhino56

when i borg someone which i have done so far to 3 comps i always make sure that their comp will run folding.

one of the things i assure them is that folding wont slow them down or hurt their comp. but folding can hurt a comp.
when a cpu is running at 100% it needs to have at least the cooling that was intended for it.

when i borged the 3 comps i did i took off the side panel and cleaned them out from dust so that they werent going to be overheating and rebooting or even worse.

the average computer owner and user has never taken the side case off of their comp, if their comp is more then a year old it needs to be cleaned before borging.

when your getting someone to fold over the internet and not physically seeing their rig you need to first ask them about the load temps they have or if its a stock rig ask them to clean it and help them step by step.

just something to keep in mind.

Agreed. A few years ago I borged a roommates puter for crunching SETI, Then it started crashing after a couple weeks. Low and behold his CPU fan had a hair/dust pie in it. I cleaned it out, along with the passive heatsink fins, then all was well.

Good call.

The only PCs I have every borged, I have had physical contact with. Including one Duron system I cleared out, reorganised the wires inside, and did a full format/reinstall.

Laptops were something I wasnt sure about. Mine has run FaH for a few days in a row with no problem. My dad's doesnt look to be taking it as well - its making a racket but if things go wrong I'll just forget it.

Yes those are some good things to keep in mind. I don't see factory build PCs as good PCs for borgs just because of the CHEAP cooling most of them have. Most people never open their computer up simply because they are afraid of breaking it so dust builds up in there. My friend's PC died because his CPU fan clogged up and he was running a AMD XP Pally core so it just burned itself to death. Folding does not hurt the computer it's the load that makes it heat up and get very hot and crash or die.

I am ATTEMPTING to borg my schools computers ATM. We have a lot of P4 Comcraps so I think they will do wonderfully :D. Borg on!

ADDED: 500 posts and 5 stars, WOOT WOOT :D.

Watch your back, if your IT dude at the school finds you doing that, say bye bye to all of the borgs, as well as a nice big fine. Tempering with school computers. :(

SavageBasher said:
Watch your back, if your IT dude at the school finds you doing that, say bye bye to all of the borgs, as well as a nice big fine. Tempering with school computers. :(

Um, I'd ask before I would install. We have a school within a school (SWAS) type program here and I am in it. We're the science, math, and technology academy, and being in this program generally makes things easier in school in terms of administration since they seem to trust us all a alot more than the rest of the HS because of justified reasons. Hence I probably have a chance at this.

ADDED: The worst thing that happens here is suspension, a few days off of school lol. My friend once made a zipped up file which he placed in the server and he made it so the thing would keep on extracting itself until the server crashed :D. Only two days suspension.

Sounds cool. Just trying to prevent disasters from people who borg everything in site without acknoledging the owners. (Note: This does not apply for relatives. :D)

matrixzen said:
Yes those are some good things to keep in mind. I don't see factory build PCs as good PCs for borgs just because of the CHEAP cooling most of them have. Most people never open their computer up simply because they are afraid of breaking it so dust builds up in there. My friend's PC died because his CPU fan clogged up and he was running a AMD XP Pally core so it just burned itself to death. Folding does not hurt the computer it's the load that makes it heat up and get very hot and crash or die.

they may not be good, but they are supposed to be able to handle 100% load...

What I'm trying to say is that OCers like us build our computers with pretty |337 cooling and clean them out often. The average person will buy a computer from the factory with stock fans and never touch the insides at all. They'd run 100% but who knows how long?

Tatuya said:
I am ATTEMPTING to borg my schools computers ATM. We have a lot of P4 Comcraps so I think they will do wonderfully :D. Borg on!

Our school has a bunch of mini-Comcraps they just got. I'd borg them except for a few things:

1) Somehow they make them so they reset their HDs upon reboot (i.e. I write a file to the HD, reboot, file is gone)
2) The room's ventilation isn't independantly controlled so it's always too hot in there even though the comps sit idle all day (most taxing thing they're used for is students looking at flash sites while they're suppost to be working)
3) See the temp graph below (Prime 95) That happened over a period of about two minutes (the first drop was because I stopped Prime after it went above 50, the second was after it reached 60)

Attachments

• p95.png
    p95.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 55
yea booo for clean slate... but mr.radar you have more privilages than me, we can't even install stuff :(

Back