• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I buy NF7 or more RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vertical_Zer0

Hey all, I'm the current owner of an MSI KT3 ULTRA2 (via 333 chip... bleh). It's maxed at 190*12=2298mhz (barton 2500 by the way). Should I get an NF7 for $65 at newegg to OC some more or should I get another 512mb of pc3200 ram? ($135 @ newegg). I'm leaning towards the NF7.... but this will certainly be my last upgrade until the A64 is cheaper/more mainstream next year sometime.

get another 512 stick
1gig is good :)
as i see you have an unlocked cpu i think it is maxed out at this speed getting the nf7 will well u to get more fsb but u will need to drop the multiplicator there is no huge of performance between your current system and what u will get with nf7 but another memory stick or better video card will help a lot

makaka said:
what u will get with nf7 but another memory stick or better video card will help a lot

He will get a locked PCI Mhz...more CPU/memory bandwidth...Adjustable AGP frequency...more core/memory voltage to OC...and they take the MB out of being the bottleneck...

Should I go on?

It is definetly better to upgrade to a better board then to 1G of ram...for now...

Yeah, I'm still leaning towards the NF7. For some reason I think this chip is NOT maxed out at just under 2.3gHz, and on a via kt333 chipset to boot... o_O

Get the m/b. RAM is expensive right now and going from 512MB to 1GB is not going to make a big diff with most apps. In fact, you've got a nice OC there and you probably don't really need to change anything right now. Ultimately my recommendation would be option 3, which is to save your money for now and put it towards a bigger upgrade in the future (e.g. socket 939 AMD 64 bit system).

Back