• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Networking Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fccdj

I am networking two computers (for now) in two different buildings. I wish to use A band. I need a router for one computer, i know. The other computer, I am not sure. I need to be able to share broadband internet, files and printers. The client computer isn't near a window, so I can't use a PCI card. I basically need a PCI card "extension". (I don't want to just extend the antenna and get a long pigtail). Now, my question.

Could I use another wireless router? or would that not communicate?
Could I use an access point, or would that not work either?
Or, what someone else told me, do I need a wireless bridge, or is that the same thing as an access point??

Confused and newb, help pls.

Not much help

I know I need a wireless router, its the other end I need help with. I don't know if I can use ANOTHER router, or if I need an access point, or a bridge, or if none of those work, then just a wireless PCI NIC.
discouraged

that router I had reference has a feature where you can turn off router business and turn it into an acess point where you can plug the comp into it I believe. So in turn if you buy 2. Make one a router and the other one a switch/acess point. I does not hurt to buy one try it out and if it does not work you would have to buy a PCI card with extension antenna. btw, how far between the 2 point.

distance is not a problem because its less then 200 feet all i have to do is get across a road, but what is the problem i dont want ANY interferance with my 2.4 Ghz phones or radios so i think im gonna go with an A band setup like this

Comp 1----Router------------___--------------AP---Comp 2

will work plz tell me if it will or not the router im looking at is Router and the AP is Ap does anyone this setup would work for me

ya im planning to put them in the window sile but i was just wondering if a router and and aP will do what i need like i said before somebody told me that i needed a bridge instead of an AP but i thought they basically were the same thing

Back