• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could this be why my comps running so slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
Ok, short intro. I got my new mobo, I'm a happy camper. Want to sleeve my PSU while i'm at it so I go out, get the kit/tools, sleeve it and then go to work on hiding everything. Problem arises here.

Ever since I installed the PSU and mobo and formatted and all that fun stuff, windows has been running very slowly. It takes a good 2.5-3.5 minutes to boot, and when I install a game or program, it will sit at the beginning stages at maybe around 5% for close to 10-15 mins. Then I hear the CD-ROM spin up and it starts to finish installing. Now, I do not have my HDD on its own dedicated line. It is right now sharing the same line as my 9800pro. Fans have their own line or are connected to the mobo.

So i'm wondering, is the combo of the HDD and video card loading that line too much? Everything right now is simply running at stock speeds. Want to sort all this out before I overclock anything so I want to know what you guys think!

Specs:
----------------------------
·Antec PlusView1000AMG
·Intel P4 2.4b | Zalman 7000-AlCu w/AS5
·Abit Ai7
·Sapphire Tech Radeon 9800pro 128MB | Modded VGA Silencer
·Western Digital 120gig w/8meg cache(WD1200JB)
·Vantec Stealth 520watt PSU | Sleeved
·512 Corsair XMS PC3000
·Lite on 52x CD-RW
·2 12" UV CCFLs | 1 LED Fan | 1 UV Fan | 3 normal fans all 80mm
-----------------------------

Ok, I think that's it. Thanks for reading this. If you did :p

you attached your ide cable the wrong way around.
check what dma mode your cdrom and hd are!

I bet you didnt attach the right way like
mobo - slave - master
you did this
master - slave - mobo attached to hd

ehh...not really sure what you mean germanjulian. But I have 2 seperate IDE cables for my HDD and CD-Rom. And no I have not run HDD Tach or any of those programs. And I switched the lines, it does seem faster. On the boot anyways, but once it gets to the windows screen it slows down really bad. And when i'm typing it will act like it just froze. This is really annoying me

ok ... mhhh go to device manager.
ide and atapi controller.
click on primary and secondary ide channel properties and find out what dma mode ur running
for cdrom should be ultra dma mode 2
for hd 5 or 6!!!
PIO is not an option.

i suppose u did tried the obvious things like spyware virus and checked if anything is taking up 99% cpu power in task manager

and what i mean with ur ide cables is simple
one end of the ide cable is for the motherboard and the other end for a device, the middle bit is also for a device.
make sure the motherboard bit is in the motherboard not a device.

trust me when I say it makes a difference.

try downloading knopnix (linux) and see if it that runs. maybe windows is buggered. reinstall?

Ahh, yeah, I checked my tags. :p and I have knoppix already burned to a CD. I have it like that for that very reason. Only problem is that it will seem slow anyways due to the fact that it has to access my CD-ROM. I have formatted 3 times and still nothing. :( I'm gonna check my device manager right now.

EDIT: HDD is in 5 and CD-ROM is in 2. And why do I have doubles of everything? It's showing 2 storage controllers, 2 Primary IDE channels, and 2 Secondary IDE channels.

Last edited:
? huh?
you what? try running ur comp only with 1 ide channel! not both unplug the other one maybe one is broken.

and yes you have in device manager
Primary IDE channel
Secondary IDE channel

and if you click properties on either of them you can see in the advance setting what device 1 is using and what device 2 is using = what dma mode.

i hope thats how yours is cause thats the way it should be:)

oh oh! if you run both ur cdrom and hd on different ide channel make sure they are connected on the end (not middle) of the ide cable! and make sure they are both master. if that doesnt work try cable select. dont know I had that that 1 hd on 1 ide channel wanted to be cable select not master!!?? dam ide crap

sata OWNS! :)

PS: reset your BIOS.

good luck.

Grrrr...I still can't figure this out!!!I am seriously ready to light my mobo on fire right now. I have done some BIOS tweaking, checked over the manual, ran HDD tests to make sure it was nice and healthy all to no avail. :(

Anyone have some other ideas?

i think it could be a voltage issue, not sure how sensitive other hardware is. but connect fans after a high powered device and they struggle to do even 20% of their rated performance. even with quality psus. seen this happen 3 times, on a generic 450watt psu, an antec 480 true blue, and a tagan 480 silent psu.

Back