• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I really am having difficulty installing Gentoo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arabarabian

Ok I am comfortable with using Linux and all that but once I tried installing Gentoo I lost all of that. I got to the point of chrooting and nothing would work for me anymore. I wanted to use the LiveCD because Gentoo does not recognize my network card but if you can help me install the network card I will use any method for getting Gentoo on my rig. I have been using the handbook. Any help would be great.

What do you have for a motherboard and network card? I'm assuming you're using the Gentoo LiveCD and not a Knoppix CD for the install. If the CD doesn't detect your card, you need to find out what module supports your network card. Once you have this, run "modprobe module_name" (replace module_name with your module). You shouldn't get any errors. If this was successful, run "net-setup eth0" to set up your network. This should all be done before your chroot. Once you have successfully made your connection, you should copy /etc/resolv.conf to /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf before you chroot.

Ken

I am going to try that out now. I am running an Epox XKHA+ with a Linsys network card. The Knoppix CD detects it but not the Gentoo LiveCD. Can I install from Gentoo?

Which Linksys card? It will tell you during the Knoppix boot, or you can do an "lsmod" after Knoppix loads to find out what modules are loaded. You can install from a Knoppix CD, but it's not as straightforward. There are instructions for the differences in the Handbook, I'm pretty sure.

Ken

Once booted from the Gentoo LiveCD, try

/sbin/modprobe tulip

followed by

/sbin/ifconfig eth0

If you don't get an error using ifconfig, run

net-setup eth0

to set up networking.

Hope this helps.

Ken

The linksys card is recognized by gentoo at least on my rig it is. Tyhe live CD recognizes it. and you need to make sure the tulip driver is in the kernel for it to recognize it after install if you are not using the genkernel.

Back