• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Master or Slave?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjr1973

I'm going to help a friend install a CDRW in his computer which already has a DVD Player. Are there any tricks to this? Should both drives (DVD and CDRW) be set as master? I've never installed multiple drives. The computer is using standard IDE Cables for everything including the hard drive also. Any advice is appreciated.

If there's two drives in the PC already, chances are they are on seperate channels and both set to master/single drive. Thus, the easy answer would be to set the cdrw to slave.

There are some other considerations I suppose. Some people recommend not having two optical drives on the same channel.

There is more than one way to set this up. To be *perfectly* correct, this is how it should be done.

HDD set to master on the primary channel.
DVD set to slave on the primary channel.
CD-RW set to master on the secondary channel.

What this does is it seperates the CD-RW from the other devices. If you burn from the HDD or the DVD, they will use a different channel than the CD-RW. This maximizes the bandwitdh and all.

Now if you do it differently, it will still work fine. There is no reason to sweat this at all. In fact, you may not even see a difference in speed at all.

putting a hd and cd drive on the same channel is a bad idea. you will be slowing down your hd.

So I could go HDD Master on primary (connector from HDD directly to Motherboard) DVD Master on secondary and CDRW Slave on secondary? Should I just use an ide cable with multiple (3) plug ins for the dvd and cdrw. DVD plug to cdrw plug to motherboard?

The DVD and CD-RW should be on one channel. And the hdd should be on a seperate channel going to the mobo.

DVD and CD-RW on one cable going to mobo

HDD (s) on another cable going to the mobo.

Ive always used cable select and havent ran into any problems.

Usually the instructions that came with the drive reccommend how they want thier product set up.

If you have 2 cables running for different drives (Like on many newer PCs) than you can set both to master.

On older PCs I used to just pick one as a Master and the other as Slave and that would determine what drive was labled "D" and "E".

P.S. CNN had a goofy article not too long ago about how there are a few groups like the NAACP and others trying to rename "Master and Slave" to "Primary and Secondary"...stupid huh?

Back