• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

look what I can do :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icesaber

I was bored last night, so I did this. now my G4 MX440 OC's stably to 350/450. that used to be an old CPU hs, and yes, it does take up 3 slots now.

I just wanted to show some people who can appreciate my handiwork. I mounted it with as5 and a little superglue.

Attachments

• vidhs1_sm.jpg
    vidhs1_sm.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 334
  • vidhs4_sm.jpg
    vidhs4_sm.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 286
Very nice! Whats that sink off? Aint you gonna stick a fan on there, probably help you get a little higher...Seems a bit risky just super glueing it on though! Nice job :)

Hmmm, i might fit one of the spare Volcano9's i got on my FX5600 with a Smartfan II :D Nah, i think that'd probably be a bit much :p

that was just a cheap socket A heatsink. I think I paid $6 for it. it's aluminum... and I went at it with a hacksaw and lots of sandpaper.

the original plan was to screw it on, since there's 4 existing screw holes in the pcb, but after I broke off 2 bits in the blasted thing, I said screw it. the glue I used is supposed to be goo up to 200 degrees farenheit, so it should be able to handle the load... and I made sure it was solid before I reinstalled the board.
I'm considering putting a 40mm fan I have off another hsf, but I also have an 80mm case fan... both are 3-pin, and I have one header on my board for it. it would just mean actually have 3 case fans for airflow instead of 4... so 2 intake and one exhaust (plus ps fan). I think I might do that later... or at least try it.
The main reason I put this hs on was because the core was running about 125 degrees farenheit stock, idling. I checked it with an infrared thermometer... so +/- 10 degrees or so... but it's still hotter than I'd like it to idle. now it idles closer to 96 degrees. little difference, you think? ;)
and since then, I've pushed the card to 350/475. I'm going to modify some of the leftovers from the original mod job to be memory heatsinks for the same card, and I'll put up another pic when that's done. then I'll see if I can't get it to 500...

Appreciate your handiwork? That mod has been done a million times,
by myself included and it doesnt take a handiman to do it :eek:

My apologies. You're right he should be proud,I thought the thread was kind of cocky thats why I responded like that but I see now that wasnt his intention.

As far as a passive heatsink that size,its going to heat up the case real good,I know I had an Intel passive setup on my TI4200.When i saw my case temps go up,I put an AMD heatsink fan on to replace it and boom no heat! :clap: :)

Even with a fan blowing on it from the bottom it will still blow the hot air around the case pretty good so I recommend a cpu heatsink/fan combo.

BTW nice oc! 350 on the core is great. :)

I have a similar heatsink on my 9500 but I used arctic epoxy to attach it. Fun little mod and that o/c is pretty awesome.

That's exactly what I did a few days ago. My heatsink looks a lot like this one too!
I actually made holes through it and screwed it on my Ti4600. I put a smart fan 2 on it and it's awesome...

I didn't intend to sound cocky before, and I apologize if I did. this is, in fact, my first mod of this caliber. when I mentioned how you guys could appreciate my handiwork, I meant moreso than most of the people around here. my parents are clueless, my brother doesn't care unless it has an engine, and my girlfriend couldn't figure out what I was showing her (poor girl). oh well.

since then, I modified some of the scraps from the heatsink to make ramsinks... and now they stably push to 465, without any artifacts. I also did end up putting a fan on the hs... it's not a very big one, 40mm, but it makes a difference to airflow...

my case temps have gone up, by such a small margin that it doesn't really matter. my case went from 93f to 95f...

unfortunately, I started having some problems with hanging in particular games, so I scaled the gpu back down to 340. now it's stable in that respect again...

so it's a g4mx440 340/565 with bahs on gpu and ram.

icesaber said:
I was bored last night, so I did this. now my G4 MX440 OC's stably to 350/450. that used to be an old CPU hs, and yes, it does take up 3 slots now.

I just wanted to show some people who can appreciate my handiwork. I mounted it with as5 and a little superglue.

so cooool. :clap:
a true OCer....nice job.

mica

You have the highest oc on an mx440 Ive ever seen.Theres a guy on these forums who claims to have the best oc on an mx440 but I think you got him good! :thup:

this mx440 was an old visiontek board, before they sold out and switched to ati chipsets ;) it was stock at 270/400.

I find it interesting, because a mag I read recommends at least a fx5900 for ut2004, and my system handles it superbly at 1280x960 with all the settings maxed. I stop at 1280x960 because 1280x1024 is all the higher my crt goes, and it's at a low refresh...

I'm waiting on getting a copy of 3dmark to post this in the geforce database post... I don't have either version. mostly because I'm on a dialup :((
as it is now, it looks like I'd be tied for 26th in the rankings for g4's...

I was going to ask for a 3dmark score. Our MX's have overclocked pretty close, but my second rig isn't all that fast, i wouldn't mind seeing what score you get with your rig, the 440 mx is a pretty good card taking into account the price :).

ive got a XFX Geforce4 MX440 here and its got Samsung 4.0ns ram on it ive had it up to 520mhz but i havent tried higher and i got 2 heatsinks on the card one on the front and one on the back got to buy ram sinks yet :D

I've heard about people mounting heatsinks to both sides of the pcb... how would you go about mounting one on the back, I mean on the pcb side rather than the core? I'd appreciate some tips, I bet I could get it higher yet with more cooling...

also, I've only found one site that shows how to volt mod this card, but it appears to be written for electrical engineers ;) anyone out there feel like walking a noob through vmodding a g4mx440? also, this one has dual display... one of the solder points in that site is used on it, not sure if there's a workaround...
thanks in advance, guys :)

also, my memory topped out at about 475-500 before I put on the sinks... mine are huge, but I bet smaller ones will still make a difference... my mem stays nice and cool now, but I just don't have enough voltage to run it past 565 stably... and I bet a little more juice to my gpu could make that run a little bit hardier too... I've noticed some lockups but only in a few d3d games (vtm for example). weird, because it runs ut2k4 at full settings crystal clear.

lock up are caused my heat mostly but maybe coz u got that gaint heatsink on it, it needs more volts tho

heres how i put the sink on the back u know the clips that already come with the card ?
well i put a different cooler on the front and i just held the stock one on the back then pushed the little clips threw both

sorry about the bad pics they are took with my webcam :)

Attachments

• Geforce4 MX440 1.JPG
    Geforce4 MX440 1.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Geforce4 MX440 2.JPG
    Geforce4 MX440 2.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Geforce4 MX440 3.JPG
    Geforce4 MX440 3.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 84
Back