• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need versatile college rig, lend suggestions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAG

I'm going to college this fall, and need a PC that will handle tons of different tasks. It needs to function as a music storehouse, as a TV and DVD viewing machine, and play an occasional game. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 2500+, nForce2, an AIW 9000 pro, 512MB of PC3200, and an 80-120GB SATA hard drive. Reliability and versatility are a top priority, with noise and performance being a close a second and third. My primary PC will be staying at home, as I'll be commuting back about every other day, so it doesn't need to be a speed demon, just enough to watch TV or a movie, play Quake 3, and store music.

If possible, costs need to be kept under $600. Also, the TV viewing will probably be just the news, and I already have a 15" CRT I'll use with it. Is there a CHEAP <$70 NF2 board that has the good reputation as the NF7-S or A7N8X?

Last edited:
Id probably spend the extra money from the sata drive on a better video card. and go IDE. but Ive never had a sata drive. but does its speed really matter when listening to MP3s off the hard drive, thats not a real big file to load. and graphics are more important than how fast you can load a map of the HD.

ares350 said:
Id probably spend the extra money from the sata drive on a better video card. and go IDE. but Ive never had a sata drive. but does its speed really matter when listening to MP3s off the hard drive, thats not a real big file to load. and graphics are more important than how fast you can load a map of the HD.

I just want the ease of routing the cable. The system will probably only be playing Quake 3, and possibly BF1942 or Desert Combat, so it doesn't need a killer graphics board. However, I probably will keep an eye on mail-in rebates to see if I can get a drive for $.50/GB or less.

Solid Choices

I think you have hit the nail on the head to provide yourself a solid computer.I would make sure you have good communication between your home computer and the one at school.This could be done in many ways to include a dual format DVD copier that will allow you to transfer a lot of data(using DVD-RW's) anytime you make the trip or any other type of communicaton you have.

I allocated a $100 for a Dragon style case with a 400W Antec PSU. This seems a little high. Anyone know of a good case with a decent 300W+ PSU that's less than $50?

Back