• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help! Corrupt Drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hi,

I really hope you can help me..
I've got 2 maxtor 20gb hard drives in my machine one is a my main disk with everything on it. The second is basically full with my downloads and some very important files that I need.

when I boot windows it says the directory D:\ is corrupt and unreadable.
But it was working fine that night.
It shows in the BIOS.
Also when I go to my computer and right click on the disk and go to properties, I tells me that it still has all my data on there, and is in NTFS format.

But I can't view it!

Please help!

Yes. AMD 2500+ Barton @ 2.31ghz.
200x11.5....

Does this affect it?
I've been running it at this speed and occasional 2.4ghz since Christmas.

Thanks for the input!

maybe sometimes it happen to me lower fsb and see if that workout maybe back to 11. if its was like that for the 6 months heat could be another factor.

Just had a look through the case window, the hard drives have a lot of dust on them.
Should I clean them, then reduce clock speed? I'll put it back to standard 1.8ghz.
I'll run that utility and see what I get!

What do you think it could be?

There should be no issues due to out of spec PCI bus speeds, but the OC may be stressing other components. Reducing the clock speed may lower demand and heat on the system components, including the PS. I'd run MBM5 and check voltages and temps as well(at unclocked and OC, but after getting data recovered). It could simply be a drive corruption issue(they occassionally happen) or there may be a root cause. Time for extended diagnosis after data recovery. Dust is always best removed regularly, as often as possible.

Right. So there is a chance that I can recover my files?

Quattro said:
Yes. AMD 2500+ Barton @ 2.31ghz.
200x11.5....

Does this affect it?
I've been running it at this speed and occasional 2.4ghz since Christmas.

Thanks for the input!

Yep, I've scrambled a drive while overclocking the fsb to high.
Rob

bad things is he might not have AGP/PCI locked at all...he should run ScanDisk and do a thoro scan to find and fix surface errors & regular errors

I tried running chkdsk but it says something like it couldn't complete because it was RAW or something, can't remember I was panicing and it was hours ago.

Back