• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i host quake 3 and wolf servers with a lousy graphics card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

Hey guys. Got 2 rigs as you can see in my sig. Yea i know the dually can handle being both server and client, but i cant exactly type commands in the console as i play. Ive tried to run games on an older machine, not in my gis, but it says "No openGL detected" and crashes out. Also the second one runs linux so i think thatd be a more stable server than the winxp machine.

i doubt you'll be able to host either of those servers on a 400mhz system. even 1on1 will cripple that system.

in general though you don't need a vcard at all for a game server except to get it setup.

Video cards only make a difference to people actually playing. You can get away with onboard video in most cases, except of course, when you have something as old as that rig above. Processors are very important things in servers, hence the use of duallys and opterons/xeons.

You need a fair bit of power, but a good chunk of RAM and a good connection are just as important (connecting being the most important). You could easily get away with a overclocked duron server with a few sticks of RAM (256 to 512), and do fine.

the most important thing is the connection, most hosting companies use p3 1ghzs with T1/T3/oc-48+ and lots of ram

Ive run the server and played on it myself on this dually tons of times with 0 lag. Quake 3 supports SMP so thats probably why...

My connection is a tough DSL one. Its much faster than most peoples since im by a hub.

theres no doubt you can run the server off your dually. but no way that other comp will handle a game server no matter the connection speed.

heh wow didnt think the load was THAT tough on it.

Not even for a private network?

I was gonna try quake 3 demo and password lock it (someone told me its possible) and just let a few freinds in that live a few doors down....but if its a def no then i wont bother to fight with linux

What I wanna know is how you have that P2 running on 160mb of ddr memory? But no, the video card shouldnt make a difference on the server unless you are playing on it too. I would almost have to be that you would do better hosting the game with the dually and playing with the P2 and a GF3 or higher graphics card in it than you would by trying to host the game on the P2 rig. QIII is a fairly old game now and used to run on a P2 rig with a descent graphics card and plenty of memory.

TUK101 said:
What I wanna know is how you have that P2 running on 160mb of ddr memory?

Some older mobo's can support SD and DDR rams. Maybe thats what hes using =P

alls i know is, a lady at my moms work gave it to me because the repair shop declaired it dead and that she needed a new one.....20minutes i had it to a win98 desktop but switched to linux because ive always wanted to learn.

It originally came from the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. I swapped its daughtercard to fit in the tower i had from another P2, which had the screwiest bios ever. Id place the 400mhz CPU in and it would only register as 266mhz. WinXP only saw it as 266 as well.

Other than that, i dont know guys lol the stick said DDR on it.

Back