• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Favorite Addons for Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Still, it's a window manager. If you're defining add-on as anything not installed by default, then Linux itself is an add-on on most computers - my favorite add-on then is the Linux kernel :p

Wow, that is a ridiculous statement. What is your point? You lost me.

A window manager would be considered a basic component of most contemporary modern linux desktops - that is, it could be considered a default component. Window managers are typically provided to users within an entire desktop environment. However, Compiz is not the window manager, its only a window manager - I can uninstall compiz and my system works virtually the same. Also, Compiz is not the default window manager for any desktop environment, however it could be considered an alternative window manager. Then again, it doesn't even have to be a window manager - the majority of its features center around functioning as a compositing manager.

Basically, your argument is ridiculous. This list is already full of applications and add-ons, and as such your goal with the current line of logic escapes me. Whether we want to call them applications or add-ons, I think everyone gets the point - apparently with one exception.

Window managers are typically provided to users within an entire desktop environment. However, Compiz is not the window manager, its only a window manager

Linux is not the kernel, its only a kernel. Just saying a lot of these things wouldn't normally be called "add-ons", and the thread title has become slightly inaccurate as the thread evolves.

I think everyone gets the point - apparently with one exception.

YHPM.

Last edited:
I'd agree that every single piece of software (even bash, GCC, etc) is an add-on for Linux, and I'd say that "Linux Programs" is more accurate.

OP: What do you think? Could we rename the thread, get some screenshots of each program and look to turn this into a front page article as well?

well yes, linux is A kernel. it is the only kernel you can run and still call your system "linux". if you change the kernel, you change the OS - which is why Stallman wants GNU/Linux used as the proper wording all the time...Linux kernel running GNU tools. Lots of other kernels can run GNU tools, BSD and Hurd come to mind first. But you can also run other tool chains on top of the kernel, so really if you are running linux, GNU is the add on.

As for Add-Ons vs. Applications, I'd vote that "add-ons" implies smaller programs that might enhance functionality or eye candy, while an Application would be a larger, base package. Like a tiny toolbar to put icons in would be an add-on, but OpenOffice.org would be an application. I'd say that KDE and Gnome are applications made up of smaller add-ons.

yeah i'd say the list is definitely a Software/application list, not just addons

Addons was just a word that I picked based off of what I knew when I first started messing around with Linux. I have to admit that some of the itmes listed, I think, seem more like programs. If we do change the name of the thread that is cool with me. Just be forewarned that I will be looking for even more items to add to the list. :santa: This thread is all about suggestions, so please do so!

Edit: I thought of a name. How about Favorite Software for Linux. I feel that would cover all the bases and it is only one word different. Let me know what y'all think. Oh and front page sounds like a banging idea. Never would have thought that this would make it there. :p On the note of the screenshots. I am currently in college full time and an IT Technician part time so I might need some help. If people will help me get the screenshots, opinions, extras I will be more than happy to compile as much of it as I can. In between watching the last episode of my favorite show ReBoot. :D

On the note of addons. I recently went through a stage of reinstalling windows on all f my computers. They needed it to make Windows work right. Of course when it came to XP MCE 2005 and drivers and networking... I uninstalled and put xubuntu on the machine. I have since reconverted to XP MCE because I can not work out the Linux to Windows file sharing deal. My laptop runs Ubuntu full time and I can see the windows network I just can not mount the drive. I was wondering if there are any addons that make sharing eaiser between Linux and Windows?

I am sure that I mentioned this issue in an earlier post and it actully spun off a thread all its own. :eek:

So I think that I am going to try and answer my own question here. I read up on this site: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountWindowsSharesPermanently which is supposed to tell you how to permanetly mount a shared folder on Ubuntu. My question is out of all that coding what is the part that I need to mount a shared location on my Win7 PC to my Ubuntu Laptop. I have a few (3-4) folders set as shaed on my Win7. Thanks in advance if anyone takes a stab at this!

OR

Should I be looking at CIFS for an answer to the issue? I also found this site: http://linux-cifs.samba.org/ that has a lot of info on CIFS. It is tough reading considering that most of it I do not understand. :p Kinda makes me feel like the second smilie :snipe:

To recap what I am looking for. All of my files are stored on a Win7 PC and I want to be able to access them from my Ubuntu laptop. :comp:

Samba as a protocol is deprecated, but the userspace tools are still called Samba. You need CIFS support in your kernel.

The .smbcredentials chown to root doesn't make much sense on a single-user system, and is especially pointless if sudo is set to not ask for a password, so you can probably ignore that part.

you probably want something like

Code:
smbmount //winpc/shared /mnt/share -o username=user,password=pass,rw

or if the share is set to everyone
Code:
smbmount //winpc/shared /mnt/share -o rw

you probably want something like

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]mount -t cifs[/COLOR] //winpc/shared /mnt/share -o username=user,password=pass,rw

or if the share is set to everyone
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]mount -t cifs[/COLOR] //winpc/shared /mnt/share -o rw

If you're insanely picky about keystroke count, you can save three keys by using mount.cifs in place of mount -t cifs. smbmount calls mount -t smbfs, and for anything newer than several years, you want CIFS, not smbfs.

:p

Ok Stratus, once again someone on the forum has helped me without directly helping me. From what I can remember the first time that I started palying around with this I installed the samba package. Aparently it was missing the one part that I need to accomplish my goal. I typed in the code that you gave me and it returned that I was missing an "add-on". I therefore dloaded and installed. I can now use the GUI to search the files.

Desktop Cude

Are there any addons that allow you to manipulate the desktop cube? I started palying around with the options in CompizConfig but I can not get it back to where I had a cude that rotated. I have seen some people that have some awesome backgrounds for thier cubes as well. Any addons used for that?

I don't understand what you are doing, it isn't rotating?

Backgrounds are just backgrounds, set it and you are done.

I don't understand what you are doing, it isn't rotating?

Backgrounds are just backgrounds, set it and you are done.

Fancy that, I was just looking at your threads. :shock:

Correct. I thought that I had it at one time where it would rotate left to right and top to bottom. ie all six sides of the cube would be a desktop
For some reason now though it will only do left to right. I increased the amount of desktops that I had but that did not change it.

There should be an option in the config. I'd have to look at my laptop later to find out.

Back