• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Favorite Addons for Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Samba as a protocol (kernel driver) is deprecated, you should use CIFS instead. The Samba userspace tools will still work with the new driver.

Well that's kind of more confusing to me - we are talking about user-space addons in this thread, not kernel modules. Most anything with linux we'll need to assume we're starting from a distro with a reasonably up to date kernel or a properly configured custom built kernel... Unless we are actually talking about kernel configuration to start with.

That said, should we consider the user-space samba package a worthwhile addon?

Wouldn't it possibly be better to recommend GVFS? Or something other than the samba package? I don't use the samba package, and I have no problems accessing various windows shares (I do have gvfs installed which gets me the userspace support I'd require)

Well that's kind of more confusing to me - we are talking about user-space addons in this thread, not kernel modules. Most anything with linux we'll need to assume we're starting from a distro with a reasonably up to date kernel or a properly configured custom built kernel... Unless we are actually talking about kernel configuration to start with.

That said, should we consider the user-space samba package a worthwhile addon?

Wouldn't it possibly be better to recommend GVFS? Or something other than the samba package? I don't use the samba package, and I have no problems accessing various windows shares (I do have gvfs installed which gets me the userspace support I'd require)

Lost in the lingo. :confused: I think I see what you are saying though. I will check GVFS out and add it to the list in place of Samba. I kinda figured that samba came with most distros but I wasn't sure.

Can I bother you for some info about the addon that you are speaking about I.M.O.G? Sounds like a good one.

Well, I was asking a question with that comment also, I'm not sure I have the best answer - but I'm not sure if the SAMBA package is something that should be added to your list.

From my understanding, these are some interesting items regarding connecting to remote shares. Someone better with linux than me should make a recommendation of when you should use which, or if any/all of these belong in your list.

Samba (includes server and client) - Installing this package puts a bunch of stuff on your system which allows both accessing remote samba/windows/cifs/smb shares, as well as making samba shares available from the PC the package is installed on.

smbclient (includes client only) - Installing this package puts just the client software which allows the system to connect to a remote samba/windows/cifs/smb share.

gvfs - Installing this package allows gnome to interface better with various remote shares. gvfs-smb specifically allows gnome to interface nicely with samba/windows/cifs/smb shares.

Samba is the name of the old reverse-engineered file system driver for accessing Windows network shares. There are both userspace tools (smbmount, smbtree, etc.) and a kernel module (as with every file system). CIFS - Common Internet File System - deprecates the kernel file system driver for Samba. The Samba userspace tools can't really be called an "add-on", they're just a bunch of commands you can use to manipulate shared files, like GCC or binutils. gvfs or Smb4K or any other GUI utilities that combine everything into one interface would be more appropriate additions to the OP list.

CIFS (Samba) is easy, because practically every Windows installation has it already set up. If you don't have any Windows systems, and/or are able to deal with a bit of installation and configuration (Windows doesn't install NFS by default), NFS is probably a better option.

1 of my fav programs for linux is screen.

it lets you detatch (then reatach later) any command line program, so you can demonize any program , i think it was originaly written so you could multi task with only 1 termal open.

I used it to keep rtorrent, esniper, and fah running on my server, along with a couple of custom scripts

Last edited:
1 of my fav programs for linux is screen.

it lets you detatch (then reatach later) any command line program, so you can demonize any program , i think it was originaly written so you could multi task with only 1 termal open.

I used it to keep rtorrent, esniper, and fah running on my server, along with a couple of custom scripts

Just added Screen to the collection under Productivity Addons.

Mark, if you have the original creator's webpage please link it. I had a little trouble finding a decent site to provide a URL.

would you be able to add esniper?

its a command line program for auto bidding on ebay items.

if you find multiple auctions for an item you only want 1 of, it will snip bid on them 1 by 1 untill you win 1 of them

you can set the wanted quantity to what any number you want.

its cool

http://esniper.sourceforge.net/

note: currently the version in the ubuntu repos is broken from ebays last update. but the debian version is upto date

http://packages.debian.org/sid/esniper

would you be able to add esniper?

its a command line program for auto bidding on ebay items.

if you find multiple auctions for an item you only want 1 of, it will snip bid on them 1 by 1 untill you win 1 of them

you can set the wanted quantity to what any number you want.

its cool

http://esniper.sourceforge.net/

note: currently the version in the ubuntu repos is broken from ebays last update. but the debian version is upto date

http://packages.debian.org/sid/esniper

Esniper added under the Productivity Addons category. Thanks for the suggestion Mark. Keep them rolling in!

So that means that any distro that uses GNOME should already have it installed correct? Forgive me, I try to learn something new every day. :santa:

actually, that isn't correct. screen doesn't have anything to do with gnome. screen is a command line application. in the most basic form, it can be used for a command line process that you want to remain running in the background, even when you are no longer logged in or connected to a machine. this is especially useful when connected via ssh. if i am performing a task and my ssh connection gets lost, i can just resume my session right where i left off.

i use it for processes that i know are going to take a long time (such as a rsync backup of my server) or for irssi (command line irc client) where i want to stay connected 24/7. i connect to my server via ssh while i am at work and i just resume my screen session to get into irssi. screen typically isn't included as a default package in most distros as far as i know.

if you want to know more about gnu, check out:
http://www.gnu.org/

*edit: the wikipedia page also has a good description of what gnu is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU

Last edited:
Ah so GNU is an operating system. Got ya! Thanks for the info mbentley.

So I will leave Screens on the list. Sounds like there is a possibility that it is not always included with distros and it seems mighty useful to not be on the list.

I am also going to add the GNU site to the Favortie Website category. Seems like a good bit of info to have. If anyone else has a website that they use for clarification of Linux, Unix or anything else let me know and I'll add it.

got another sugestion for you, called flexget, its for auto downloading .torrent files from rss feeds, i used it to auto dl my tv shows, so i dont forget there on :)

http://flexget.com/

http://flexget.com/wiki/Install

if i remember any more il let you know

Added FlexGet to the Productivity Addon Category. I am a little lost as to where to put this addon. I don't want to start a whole new category for it so for now I figure that I can explain it as keeping you from having to do it yourself so therefore you are more productive. :soda:

Thanks again Mark. Anyone else?

got another one for the list:

prism

I quote wikipedia "...integrates web applications with the desktop, allowing web applications to be launched from the desktop and configured independently of the default web browser..."

Very nice for making a fast check to Gmail, Twitter or whatever (any) website you want.

got another one for the list:

prism

I quote wikipedia "...integrates web applications with the desktop, allowing web applications to be launched from the desktop and configured independently of the default web browser..."

Very nice for making a fast check to Gmail, Twitter or whatever (any) website you want.

I tried this addon out for a bit last night and was not horribly impressed. Though I am not a person that really visits that many different sites on the net. I will admit however though it does allow quick access via your desktop.

Prism added to the list under the Productivity category.

Back