• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best MicroATX mother board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harreh

Registered
what i need to know is what's the best onboard video and north-south bridge chipsets to use? also, what brand?

thanks in advance for the help!

Harreh

Well Harreh:
I think you have to consider the Intel 865G Chipset, and any brand. But I suggest you this one:
Gigabye GA-8IG1000MK. I got one and I tell you that it is amazing for what you expect, it has the mentioned Intel 865G Chipset, support for Hyper Threading and Prescott processors up 3.4 Ghz, Intel Extreme II video integrated, AC'97 5.1 Audio Codec integrated, Intel PRO 100 Network Adapter integrated, 8 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back panel and 4 onboard), 2 serialATA prots onboard, an 8x AGP Port, 3 PCI ports, and the stability of the brand.
Here is the direct link to the product:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8IG1000MK.htm

luck!!!

sweet. that looks great, thanks!! what did you use for a case and ram?

Harreh

Last edited:
Harreh, are you using a Pentium or AMD chip? I personally would look into AOpen. Great company for microATX, In the AMD area, they have a micro with the Nforce 2 chipset on it and I believe they support SATA ( Seriel ATA ). You might check there Pentium boards if that is what you're looking for and see if they have the chipset that cubaxp recommended, I don't know much about Pentiums. I looked around for a long time at microatx boards and there are only a few companies out there that have microATX that can overclock. AOpen is one of the few. Epox is another. So make sure you do your research and find multiple websites that review them, some can differ by a huge amount.
http://usa.aopen.com/products/mb/
Here's AOpen's link, just scroll down to the bottom and choose Pentium DDR or AMD XP DDR or if you're a AMD 64 user, they have that too.
Good luck with the search man.
enduro

Oh, one more thing, sorry posting a lot, but check that board to see if it can overclock or not. I clicked the link and looked at the board and in the specs it didn't mention the BIOS at all. I'm not sure if you're getting into overclocking or not but double check that board before you buy it.
enduro

what microatx board would you recommend for amd?

thanks
Harreh

Well, I just looked at my own link and AOpen has gotten rid of their Nforce micro board so that is out. You'll have to look around on the forum to see what the best Via chipset is. The Epox EP-8RGM3I looks like a good board with Dual Channel support and fsb 200 support as well. You'll have to look around to see if Newegg or TigerDirect have the AOPen Nforce micro board.

enduro, those aopen mobos look very nice!! i used my last aopen mobo with a cely 400 yrs ago. i'm seriously lookin at that i865g board they have, maybe i'll get their board and a prescott =) . i decided not to do microatx this go round.

Back