• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats a good athlon 64 mobo mobo??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surfeit00

Disabled
Might be getting an athlon 64 3200+ soon, what is a good mobo for everyday use and gaming? I will probably not be ocing much.

I would personally go for the Abit KV8 because I have had good experience with Abit boards in the past but if you are wanting to oc significantly you would be better waiting until some boards with an AGP/PCI lock come out.

I just got a Chaintech VNF3-250 the other day. It has a nForce 3 250 chipset, so it has a PCI lock if you want to overclock. It's been rock stable for me, and has everything I need (lots of USB, and SATA.) It could use more SATA for in the future (right now I'm actually not using any SATA drives) but you can always buy a SATA controller card. Also, the RAID on it is very flexible. I haven't used it, but it appears to work with SATA and both IDE channels.

Beware though, this is the nForce3 250 chipset, not nForce3 250GB. It does not have a hardware firewall or gigabit ethernet.

MSI K8N Neo. There plenty of boards out with the PCI/AGP lock, and currently, the K8N Neo looks to be the frontrunner with the nF3 250GB chipset, vcore up to 1.8v, and full support for mobiles.

Dont get the chaintech from what iv been reading it may seem good for overclock but has some problems whe nu wanan lower the multi. Also the only way this board will supporta Mobile, is if you have a desktop cpu to boot the thingup then flash to the beta bios, then the mobile's will work but not very good.

Either the EPOX 8KdA3+, or the MSI K8N Neo is youre best bet

Epox

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=80052

MSI

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2036&p=1

Here are some good reviews for both, the MSI overclocks a lil bit better, it got the full 300fsb, they could go higher but the boards bios max was 300 lol.

A side note the EPOX isnt out yet tho.

CandymanCan said:
Dont get the chaintech from what iv been reading it may seem good for overclock but has some problems whe nu wanan lower the multi.

True. I haven't been overclocking much (just upped the memory to 210 mhz, thats all) but I did look for a way to change the multiplier. I couldn't find it. Its not that big of a deal for me though, the jump from a 2500+ Barton to this 2800+ NewCastle is huge. In 3DMark01 I'm beating my dad's computer (2500+ @ stock, 9800 Pro slightly o/ced) by 1000 points or more.

Iread they had problem with that on the chaintech as well, maybe im wrong but i still thin kthe MSI is a better choice.

I found that the Epox board will be out ina week or so

I am not going to overclock. I was using a 3.2C @ 4.2 Ghz with a Prommy up until last weekend when a lot of stuff died on me. Overclocking is fun & all, but really do you ever get a noticable performance boost? Not especially. Sure you benchmark higher, but putting stress on components isn't worth it for .4 second faster loading times.

Yeah, I tried to convince myself of the same after my AXP 1700+ and Abit NF7 died.

But here I am, 400Mhz later...I just can't resist. :D Somehow I doubt you'll be able to as well. ;)

My recommendation of the MSI stands, though. The nF3 250GB chipset seems to be worth it by itself.

Back