• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU.. Voltage OK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I just got in a new PSU, .. powmax 400w... Shipped in. It was just in original retail package, with no other packing, and the package was a bit bashed/ripped. The PSU itself looks perfect, but I was a bit concerned it would be damaged internally, and voltages would be off. But, as I was sick of waiting for crap in the mail, I stuck it in my new case and moved all my components over and started it up... I ran primes heat test 11.5 hours last night and these are the voltages probe came up with under that load:
+12= 12.864-12.968
+5= 4.73-4.757
+3.3 3.408-3.44
vcore 1.632-1.648

ran average of 53 celcius or so.. high of 54...

2400+
asus a7n8x delux
768 simpletech 2100 ram
radeon 7500 64meg ddr
30 gig 7200 maxtor
20 gig 5400 maxtor
52x32x52 liteon
48x generic cdrom
generic cooling with arctic silver 5

does that sound about right?
also.. any suggestions on applying the arctic silver?
I used a card to spread it as thin as I could and rubbed some into the heatsink grooves( kind of buffed it in) before attaching sink. I'm going to be ordering a thermalright sink soon, but just broke my ankle, so Im out of work for a bit... ooofa

low +5v rail... +12v seems too high in my opinion...

i have the same crappy PSU:

vcore (1.5v) 1.50-1.52
+5v 4.87
+12v 11.98- 12.05
agp 1.54
ddr 2.56

mine seems to be a little better than yours, though 4.87v is still low

That's pretty much what you'd get from generic PSUs. Sorry to say but that PSU is pretty bad, overclocking with such low +5v will be really limited to impossible. If you can return it, then do and try to get something better.
Like an Antec or a Fortron, these might be more expensive but they have great quality and you'll be greatfull that you got good quality PSU, when you'll want to get the most out of your hardware

those readings were under load... readings idle are:
still too crappy?

TBH, idle readings aren't really important. I've had crappy generic PSUs, I invested in a brand name PSU (Enermax 450W) and I'm glad I did, I will never go back to a generic PSU for an OCed computer.
For stock PCs its not that important, but if you want to overclock, and want your hardware to be safe, (because if you stress a generic PSU too much, it might die, and usually when the generics die, its not uncommon that they take some piece of hardware with them) then I would really suggest you get a new PSU. Believe me, and most people will confirm this: It is worth it.

IMHO yes them reading are abit high have u got a multimeter lying around u could use to read the voltages ??

i also agree with The Coolest on the above post :)

ASUS AMD boards use the +5v rail to feed the processor. that's why his +5v rail is so low. and because of poor quality of the PSU, the more load there is on the +5v rail the higher the +12v will be.

no, no meter lying around, but i just emailed the seller about perhaps returning. The listing says refund minus shipping, and I paid 8.95 plus 11.95 shipping, so IT MAY NOT BE WORTH SPENDING 5 BUCKS TO SHIP IT BACK AND RECIEVE 8.95...sorry about caps..just keep it laying around for extra if needed.. antec,enermax, sparkle.. any other good ones>?

Thermaltake (ok , new 480w are good), Fortron , Tagan , Zalman , Chieftec (ok), PCP&P , be-quiet .......... there are alot of good makes.

Fortron are nice and cheap and produce more power than there rated for. Antec should have v.good rails and decent output. Also there are very quiet PSU's if your running a quiet system..........

I had a aspire 500watt that came w/ my case that dropped like that on the 5v rail and went up on the 12v rail underload.

So i sold and ordered a got a forton 530watt from newegg, but had to rma it cause not working right. Replacement be here friday. I hope! :bday:

are these voltages ok: its off the generic 300w that cam with an Aopen case and i was considering replacing it:

+12v : 12.04
+5v : 5.05v
+3.3v : 3.28v
core: 1.78v

this is on abit nf7-s, mobile 2500+, raddy 9800 pro, 512 dual chan and 2 HDD

I take it those are idle readings? You should check what there like when running Prime95........ that'l give you a better indication.

And Slimmy you crazy chappie, getting a 530w Fortron for an XP system......... Sure that would prob power two of em!! Better safe than sorry i suppose.

[edit] If those readings are load readings then its a decent PSU reguardless. I remember reading something about some Aopen cases comming with Fortrons/sparkles........ thats a good thing!

These are pretty good readings. Unless your +12v drops below 11.7v under full load I don't think you should even consider replacing that PSU.

Col_Loki said:
And Slimmy you crazy chappie, getting a 530w Fortron for an XP system......... Sure that would prob power two of em!! Better safe than sorry i suppose.

Never have enough power! :attn:

Back