• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The PSU failure Scare!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenJelly

So I have been upgrading 5 machines at once... Well the process has had a number of problems and some interesting finds...

I have been having issues with My media Center. Its NOW running a P5B with a X6800 processor (upgraded from a e6400 which had Bluray skipping issues).

When I upgraded I ran HWMonitor and noticed the CPU was running hot. I only ran HWMonitor to check if the CPU heat sink was fine. Well it was running 50c on idle and near 70 under prime. Im not overclocking and this is a HTPC case so I wasn't panicking or in a rush.

But what started to get my attention was that it crashed nightly. This caused some confussion. First was a release of a .NET 4.0 Security update that would lock up the machine. Turns out shutting down MyMovies and other system tray items fixed that. So I though all was fine.

Then on Monday Night I found it crashed AGAIN... I started to look a bit closer and saw HWMonitor reporting a 14v on the 12 volts. Lets just say my heart was beating and my feat was rushing to turn off the machine.

I took it too My Father (who is an electrical engineer) and plugged first into a PSU tester then when we got no errors we plugged it back into the motherboard and monitored the settings under into a digital scope that is well allot more then what we needed. We even tested another PSU!

No increase in the 12v... The problem was either a failure on the Mobo or a Failure of HWMonitor. Problem is, this was a Asus Mobo and PCProbe was not on their Download page. I searched this earlier and only found forums that suggested running triing to run the vista version in compatibility mode. I decided to download PC Probe from another site and it worked! The voltage was reported as 12.1 (which is rather exceptional).

I also found that 1 Gig was beign reserved by the Bios for god knows what! So instead of 4 gigs I only had 3 available to windows (and no this MoBo has no built in video).

Whats more I found that while Asus was not updating their software, BUT they where updating their bios. I work hard on keeping everything upto date, but with a 7th machine on its way, it gets tough! So I updated the BIOS and the X6800 vcore dropped by .1 volts and the temps dropped 5c.

But I wasn't done there. When I removed my water cooling I installed a stock intell cooler. The Water Cooling was nice, but it made the box extremely cramped and hard to work in. It just was not necessary.

I checked the Intel cooler and felt it was a bit too wobble. We have a half dozen 775 Intel Coolers so I attempted to use another one and had a 44c idle temp.

Lesson - Check for Bios Updates (even when your dont think you need too), and don't always believe HWMonitor!

I don't know WHY a e6400 and X6800 (which are both first gen Core 2 Duo's) would produce different results with different BIOS's, but hey! Im not a rookie in building computers. I have over 7 machines and am my friends local repair shop with over 20 years of building X86 machines. I might not know everything about everything, but I do feel that I know more then most (well more then the average person), and I feel I have about average knowledge of My peers on OCForums support staff.

I know EarthDog, it sounds obvious... and your definitely not the target audience of this post... But we all forget the "obvious"!

I can't imagine starting the quest to build My own Computers... Ive been doing it so long that allot of the things I think are obvious are not even known by the new system builder.

Sorry, that was a bit standoffish. I appreciate the insight that you have provided for those not knowing to check the self proclaimed obvious things :). Just came off a bit...bloggish. LOL!

Well it probably is... Enthusiastic... Its no surprise that I love computers, and I do love working with them... So yes I get excited over solving problems and want to share it with the world... Is this appropriate... To some (yes)... others... no!

In the end, this might end up being a google... I would goto those top page ranked posts and update them saying that the pc-probe works with the p5b mobo, but people often complain about that too...

Many of the things I did are not suggested as problem resolution steps in the common "Is My PSU bad" thread... If I had posted that HWMonitor was reporting 14v, I would of been told to buy a new PSU... I may even have been the one to tell someone that!

I like to give good advice, but there is so much to know, look out for and even research when solving issues.

If you posted that HWmonitor shows 14v, Id tell you to get a multimeter and test it the right way. :p

Software, while its the only thing most of us have, is not accurate. ;)

Yea, there is no doubt that OCForums gives the best advice. I just started doing some help on the Seven Forums, and its no where near the quality I am use to from here. Its rather discouraging to see people get bad advice.

I thought of that and tripple checked and I am running a 64 bit system... Its very weird... I even checked My Sound card... I don't know where it went but a BIOS update usually wipes the bios clear. I now have all 4 gigs so the mystery remains...

Back