• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few questions about what limits the FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiyoshilionz

I'm currently tuning for my max FSB, and here's the factors that I know of that affect it:

RAM Quality
VDimm
Vdd (Chipset)
BIOS
NB Cooling
Memory Timing
(?)VCore(?) - Does this affect FSB or is it only for the CPU clock speed?

I have good RAM, high-end stuff from OCZ, my VDimm is maxed out at 2.9V in the BIOS, the Vdd is maxed out at 1.7V in the BIOS, my memory timing is totally lagged out at 3-4-4-11, and I've got a BIOS that's really helping, D10 Beta 4, and I've got a lapped copper heatsink on my NB with a 40mm fan on top of it, so I've got plenty of cooling there. One thing I've read of cooling are the MOSFETS for the VDimm and the Vdd, there's a picture of it here:

http://s6.invisionfree.com/underclock/index.php?showtopic=124

I'm just thinking that when I hit a stability wall, if I still want to go higher, I'll probably have to do voltage mods for the Vdd and Vdimm. So any tips for getting a maximum high FSB?

240, 242 is only P95 stable for about 2 hours. And that was with high timings (3-4-4-11 I think) and high VDimm voltage (2.9V). I'm running a slight overclock at 240 x 9, and I only need 1.475V for the CPU and 2.7V for the memory. And the timings are as tight as I want to mess with at 2.5-5-5-8 :( I'm not good with timings and whenever I try to go with the "Turbo" or any other low timings that I manually choose, then the computer usually doesn't get through POST.

So basically I maxed the FSB at 240 with 2.9V and loose timings, then I backed the voltage to 2.7V and tightened the timings a bit. Not sure if it's completely stable yet, I'll need to run at least an overnight P95.

*edit*
I checked the PC4000 standard latency (it's on a sticker on the RAM stick) and it said 2.5-4-4-7, so I lowered the timings to that. I wonder if I can get lower, but I really don't know how I should go about doing this.

Last edited:
That's a pretty damn good for a stock NF7 board. I would pretty glad if I had such a high FSB if I were you. If you want higher you will probably have to do all the vmods you were talking about. Also add cooling to the SB and all the MOSFETS that gotta help a little bit, or at least make the board more stable/last longer

Yeah, I'm guessing I'll settle with this. I just had some fun with 2.0Vcore to see how high it would go. 2.6ghz crashed, 2.5ghz got into Windows but I think this Panaflo isn't cutting it for a CPU fan. I think I'm gonna get a Tornado and make a top blowhole for the Panaflo. And I already have heatsinks on all the Vcore MOSFETS, they came with my NB cooling kit.

My only suggestion to you is to get some ear plugs with your Tornado, those things get pretty damn loud. And mine is not even the fastest out of the lot. Mine gets to 5k RPM, those tornados do 6K

yea the tornado's sound like hair dryers for real, mines at a lower speed and it staying there.

Back