• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Vantec Tornado and Zalman CNPS7000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

I was thinking it might be time to get rid of this volcano 9. I have 2 fans ducted to it, but at 5000 RPM and I only managed to lower my temp from 80°C to 60°C.

These Zalman CNPS 7000's look like great heatsinks, but the fan is quite low powered.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=35-118-109&DEPA=0

Could I rip the fan out of that, and rip the square surrounds out of a Vantec tornado and use one of those in that heatsink instead? Does anyone have any idea's on how I would go about doing that?

Thanks.

Hmmm...I, too, was thinking about doing that with that heatsink. I mean...I'm sure its a good heatsink, but just think if it had 50-80cfm instead of whatever that measily fan in there pushes. I'm gonna go look at one and see if there is a way.

Looks to me like there is some kind of bracket that holds the fan on on the under side of the heatsink. You might be able to take the fan off in an easy manner...it really doesn't look like it's too hard. As for the fan, I just looked at an 80mm fan and if you can find a way to get under the back covering...you might be able to pry it out. There is a small circuit board on many fans, even the cheap ones, so you have to be careful not to damage the board or hit the motor and cause a bend of some sort. I think it can be done...you might want to test taking a fan out of its "shell" on an older fan. Good luck...and tell me if it works. Just post it here.

The stock Zalman fan is 92mm and is easily removed, no need to "rip it out".

Having experimented with mine, I think a higher CFM fan isn't worth the extra noise.

The 7000 will respond nicely ( using the stock fan) to a duct from the case exterior.

Or, this looks interesting

Ok, thanks for the input and the link guys.

I have recently looked at one of my cheapo 80mm fans, and taking a fan out of its shell looks rather difficult without damaging the fan. I think I might just look at some other heatsink, or build a duct of some sort to this heatsink. If I make a move and buy a heatsink, I'll let you guys know what I did. :)

Gautam said:
Just use the Zalman without modifying it. It's an excellent heatsink as it is.

Are you sure it could cool over 115 thermal watts? Just for comparison Prescott is around 100. I have fairly high ambient temps too.

Once I tried mouting Delta's 120mm 190CFM fan directly to the side of my case. This put it about 2 inches away from the fins on my old 7000. I saw very modest gains, maybe 2C full load.

1. The 2" away makes a huge difference, it's worth trying to mount it as close as possible if you want to try a custom setup with a tornado.

2. If you are going to buy a new cooler, just grab a sp-94, I know I'm biased, but i've tried the copper 7000 and the swiftech MCX478-V. It offers a great platform for a low-speed fan, and does excellent with high speed fans as well.

Good luck!

Ok thanks. I might save up and get an SP-97 and get one of those dual rotored, high static pressure, 120X120X73 220CFM Delta GFB's. That could get kinda pricy though :(

And, I would have to get the fan directly from Delta becuase I dont see any resellers that have it.

Back