• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decision Time ~ Need Help Fast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hi all. My 9800Pro went kaput, so I have a $270 credit at Best Buy and I planned on paying $130 and upgrading the exchange for a X800Pro - But they have NO IDEA when they will come in, and I dont want to waste a month of my Summer Vacation without a video card - so I wanted to know if you think I should get one of the VisionTek 6800 GT's that they have in stock isntead? The employees arent entirely knowledgeable of their own policies, and one suggested that I could like---get a card and exchange it when the X800's come in---so, that being an "uncertainty" --if I end up stuck with a 6800 GT, will I be happy?

edit: *cr@p* i dont think they have the gt's in yet either---what should i do... :bang head

Any Suggestions/Thoughts Are Appreciated! Thanx!

(my friends were telling me to get a X800XT - since those arent in stock either, should I get a 6800Ultra, if they have them in stock; think it's worth the money?)

Last edited:
If they have the GT's, get one of them. They have plenty OC room. The ATI cards are a bit slower and more expensive, so i wouldnt recommend them for now

Sjaak said:
If they have the GT's, get one of them. They have plenty OC room. The ATI cards are a bit slower and more expensive, so i wouldnt recommend them for now

I can't agree that the ATI x800pro is slower.
infact, it keeps up and even beats the 6800u in some of the tests I've seen and heared.

I have the x800pro, it OCs great.
10k marks at stock in 3dmark03, is not what I would call slow.

for the 6800gt to compete with the x800pro, you might need to OC it to ultra speeds...IMHO.

mica

Last edited:
Mr.Radar said:
The 6800 GT is faster than a X800 Pro but slower than a X800 XT because the GT has 16 pipelines while the Pro only has 12.

that's like saying my cat is faster then me because she has 4 legs and I only have two.

btw, my 81 year old dad can out run my 10 year old cat.

mica

Mr.Radar said:
The 6800 GT is faster than a X800 Pro but slower than a X800 XT because the GT has 16 pipelines while the Pro only has 12.
you speak as if what you are saying is fact.....

The majority of the reviews I've read rank the cards in the following way...

6800, X800Pro, 6800GT, 6800U, X800XT

The Pro is quite a bit faster than the vanilla 6800, but not much slower than the GT. The Ultra and XT are both somewhat away from the GT/Pro, with the XT usually besting the Ultra by a noticible amount.

Depending on when the cards come in, I'd get the GT over the Pro, but not if it means waiting a lot longer.
JigPu

JigPu said:
The majority of the reviews I've read rank the cards in the following way...

6800, X800Pro, 6800GT, 6800U, X800XT

The Pro is quite a bit faster than the vanilla 6800, but not much slower than the GT. The Ultra and XT are both somewhat away from the GT/Pro, with the XT usually besting the Ultra by a noticible amount.

Depending on when the cards come in, I'd get the GT over the Pro, but not if it means waiting a lot longer.
JigPu

the problem I'm seeing is two fold.....

one)
too many reviews are so limited or devoid of information, that you can't realy make a true opinion of what your seeing.
(are the 6800's benchmarks run with briliner turned on, or off?)

also, so many of the reviews are so borked, giving wrong or misleading information that you realy can't rely on them.

two)
the last certifide driver from nVidia was the 56.72
that's right, while the 6800 cards are being sold here in the states, and over seas....nVidia still can't put out a WHQL driver for them.

*rant on*
notice how the official drivers for the ATI cards are cat4.6 in 3dmark03?
hmmmm, non WHQL certifide 60.72's will have to do for the 6800 cards....
and the 52.16's will have to do for the rest.
why?
the x800's had cat4.5's when the card was out, why can't nVidia have a WHQL driver by now?
go to nVidia and get your latest d/l...oooops, they only show 56.72
what? you mean they can't even give you a driver for the 6800 cards?
what's up with that?
*rant off*

I guess what I'm saying is that I would stop reading the reviews and start reading from people who have any type of 6800 card.
just see what they are saying, as they are telling a far better story then what you'll see in a review.

I can't speak for any 6800gt's... but there are folks who have talked about the 6800u, and they seem to be great cards.

as for my x800pro, I'm running every day @ 500/500...
and the highest I safely feel like going without an aftermarket sink was 510/530. (stock is 475/450)
I know I can go higher too.
11,000 marks in 3dmark03 @ my slight OC, seems nice...yet I'm not a huge benchmarker.

and since no ligitamate review-sites used the cat4.6 drivers, I'll tell you I've got a nice boost in performance in almost every game I tested (as compared to the beta4.5's and the offical cat4.5's).
3dmark03, farcry, BF:V and now LOMAC too.
(just tested LOMAC: I get about 9% faster framerate at 1024x768 4xAA and 8xAF....max ingame settings @ stock clocks. yes, max ingame settings. with the new cat4.6 drivers)
so the results that you've seen for the x800pro, with beta drivers should not give you a true idea of what your getting....in benchmarks.

I feel that the 6800gt and the 6800u are great cards.
and everyone should be happy with them....
yet you'd think that we would see far more reviews from members here in this forum.

mica

If they have a eVGA card in you can get that now and using the step up program they will credit the whole cost of that to a higher card as long as its within 90 days. So you can get a 5900 and then get a 6800 when it comes in with no loss.

Back