• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to apply Antec Reference Silver?/99% alcohol?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

Hey, i'm lapping my heatsink and reseating it, and I kinda need some help with this. I have a SK-7 that i'm lapping, and I'm not really sure how to apply the thermal grease correctly when I reseat it. Is there a website that shows exactly how to apply Antec Reference Silver Thermal Compound?

Also I know that you hafta clean the heatsink and cpu with 99% isoprophyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth. As these are not very common household products, where can I get these?

91% alcohol is probably the best you'll find. I don't think you can buy 99% in a store. Just get the highest percentage you can find. I found 91% at WalMart.

I just use lots of q-tips and alcohol to remove arctic silver. Works great. After you finish, to be sure you didn't leave any lint or dust on the core of the CPU, blast it with some canned air. Don't worry about getting the CPU wet with alcohol, it evaporates quickly and won't do any harm.

Alrighty, but q-tips dont sound like a good choice, since they for sure leave a lot of lint.

coffee filters have nearly no lint, if any at all :)

you can get 96% alcohol at some womens beauty product stores, i got my bottle of 96% alcohol at a make-up store lol :p (no added minerals or anything)\

apply the TIM (thermal interface material) in a thin and even layer, you can just use the Arctic Silver instructions because a TIM is a TIM :) though if i were you, i would get some Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Ceramique, because you want the best possible result from your lapping job :)

edit: if you know people in the medical world, ask for some of those sterile (sp?) alcohol-using wound cleaning cloths :p hope you know what i mean, those work good aswell :)

edit2: Jognt, Smiley Abuser *wanted to add smiley here too*

You have included too many images in your signature or in your previous post. Please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

ap673 said:
Hey, i'm lapping my heatsink and reseating it, and I kinda need some help with this. I have a SK-7 that i'm lapping, and I'm not really sure how to apply the thermal grease correctly when I reseat it. Is there a website that shows exactly how to apply Antec Reference Silver Thermal Compound?

Also I know that you hafta clean the heatsink and cpu with 99% isoprophyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth. As these are not very common household products, where can I get these?

This antec silver paste is rebranded Arctic Silver 5, so just follow the instructions at www.arcticsilver.com here,
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

:attn:

Thanks guys, it only improved my temps 1-2c, but this new manually adjustable fan can get me down 4-5c but it sounds like a vaccum.

give it time to set properly. if you can got for thermal cycling, keep the CPU hot for a few hours then place your computer in a cool place(basement, next to AC unit and so on) for a few hours, do that a few days(3-5) and you'll have a perfectly curred AS5. it doesn't make a huge difference temperaturewise but it does help preventing it from going bad prematurely. As for 99% isoprophyl look for rubbing alcohol at your drugstore(some store keep it behind the counter), sometime it's 70% but usually you have 99% sitting next to it.

Back