• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to detach CPU from Old heatsink to install new ones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nkcd

detach CPU from Old HS ->done, now what to use to clean the paste on top of CPU?

Well, my 2 weeks break period began. I'm cut the grills, drill holes, and stuff already. Now is to install the new SLK947U on my P4 system. I took out the old HS, then the CPU came out with it. I saw that it had black thermal paste or somekind and it stick together really really hard. I do n't want to prey it since i'm affraid i might break the CPU. So I used Q-tips soaked with acetone to wipe the outside excess on the edge of CPU+heasink, and seem like acetone can clean those paste off. But there's no way I can get to the inside to make it detach.

what can I do, dip the CPU+bottom of heasink in acetone and let the paste dissolve? I mean, acetone evap once exposed to dry and warm surface, so I don't know if it'll harm the CPU if I completely submerge it in?

what other methods can I use to make it detach?

thanks

Last edited:
dont submerge it, take dental floss and put it inbetween the cpu and hsf and gently saw thru the thermal compund.

eXCeSS said:
dont submerge it, take dental floss and put it inbetween the cpu and hsf and gently saw thru the thermal compund.

thanks, I tried it but doesn't work. Couldn't get an opening to slid it in. It stuck so tight.

is there any other safe method (unlike my thought :( )?

Put the hs/cpu back in, fire up the machine (leave the fan unplugged if it will let you), leave it on for a couple minutes, turn it off, quickly take off the hs while it is still hot. Use a razor blade to pry it up if needed.

thanks everyone, Romebaby actually gave me the idea, i used a hair drier, setting on low, blow on the HS the direction of the fan, it gets a lil hot, where my hand is still touchable (safe) then use the dental floss method of excess.

thanks both of u. Will post pic of the new installation later.

Now, Am I safe to use acetone to clean off the surface of the CPU?

Acetone is okay to use, but Rubbing Alcohol might be better... Anyways yea, you can safely use Acetone to clean it. For some reason I was thinking acetone is partially left behind after evaporating though..

Be sure you dont use the acetone with the girly stuff in it, that will not go away. You are better off using high content rubbing alcohol, 90% or higher is recommended. That way no residue is left behind to screw up your thermal paste and give you higher temps. Good luck with your endeavor.

Back