• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting a stock AMD HSF onto Ti4200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thexassassin

Registered
I was wondering how i could mount the hsf onto my card without drilling holes into the HSF. Is it possible to mount it with epoxy or super glue? :-/

It is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you don't seat the hsf right the first time around, then you're done. Card goes in the trash and your very unhappy. Drilling a heatsink really isn't that hard. Plus, the hsf works better if you have some tension holding it tight to the core.

would the super glue melt becuase of the heat produced by the gpu? i dont have any drilling tools right now and im kinda lazy.. its one of my backup cards and im too lazy to sell it

it wouldn't melt but it could easily break down and let the HS drop onto whateve is under it.

i have a stock AMD hs on my ti4200 with metal screws and grommets.

if you don't want to kill your hardware drill holes for bolts/screws. epoxy/superglue aren't a good idea to hold up that much unsupported weight

thexassassin said:
I was wondering how i could mount the hsf onto my card without drilling holes into the HSF. Is it possible to mount it with epoxy or super glue? :-/

Yes,it is entirely possible and has been done successfully by many including myself many times.Contrary to popular belief,A tiny drop of superglue in each corner of the core while applying pressure will work just fine.I use Krazy glue and it has never come loose.In fact the only problem arose when I tried to get it off one time! I had to really pry it off.

thexassassin said:
would the superglue melt becuase of the heat?
why not just get some thermal epoxy? like AS silver adhesive?
i never understood the superglue thing, it doesn't conduct heat. do you put thermal grease on too? if so how do you prevent the grease and glue from mixing/touching each other?

bobmanfoo said:
why not just get some thermal epoxy? like AS silver adhesive?
i never understood the superglue thing, it doesn't conduct heat. do you put thermal grease on too? if so how do you prevent the grease and glue from mixing/touching each other?

im thinking i could just put a big drop of super glue on each corner edge of the chip and put thermal grease around the places without the glue. I think a little mixing is not a problem. Im not sure about the glue melting in the heat tho

You put the Krazy glue on the corners.NOT big drops.very small ones.You put the thermal grease in the middle of the core and spread it out evenly.A little mixing is almost inevitable but wont hurt.Just dont mix it 50/50 !lol!

bobmanfoo,this is the way we do it when we dont have credit cards to order thermal epoxy.

If it's a backup card you can go ghetto and just use a zip-tie across it. I've seen it done a few times and seems to work just fine.

I'd be very nervous about using any type of glue, if the HSF ever fell off, it's toast.

I recently mounted an AMD 2100 aluminum HSF onto my ATI 9800 Pro that was flashed to a 9088 XT. It requires a bit of patience and some parts. Here's what I bought:

From Lowes
4-40 Threaded Rod
4-40 Miniature Hex Nuts
Rubber feet (small) to protect the circuits on the other side

Here's what I did:

Mark the HSF with the mounting holes on the video card
Cut the Threaded Rods in half 1 1/2" each
Dremmel 2 hols into the HSF
2 Part Epoxy to hold the Threaded Rods in place
Dremmel small hole in middle of rubber feet and cut to size
Add thermal compound and seat HSF
Attach Rubber feet on other side and secure with Hex Nuts
Enjoy!

Note: I had to buy a Dremel Plunge Router Attachment to insure I made a straight hole into the HSF.

The_Sloth

would the zip ties hold the hsf to the card securely? BTW, i do have a credit card :) im just broke because i just ordered a new s939 system and preordered a 6800gt.. eating ramen noodles right now to get a new car :p $.15 a pack

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Just be careful of how much pressure you use.

Later,

The_Sloth

i just picked up some high temp 5 minute epoxy from autozone for $3:50. you want to make sure your getting good contact with the gpu, so make sure you dry fit the heatsink to see if it's flat.
my gpu heatspreader had a high spot in the middle so i ended up lapping the core. i then spread as ceramique really thinly across the core, then used a qtip with a little alcohol to make sure the corners were clean, then applied a tiny drop of the epoxy on each corner,then applied a stock amd heatsink with a copper core and a ttsf2.
idle went from 47c to 33c. load from 68c to 38-40c depending on what game and ambient temps but i've never seen it higher than 40c.
my oc went from 470\935 to 500/1000 i know the core has more in it that's just the highest i've taken it. the ram has very minimal artifacts at that speed, gaming speeds are 475/975 without a hiccup.
been on for a month now with no probs. my next project is to cut up an old p3 heatsink for the ram. :D

well, i just strapped the hsf on with 10 large zip ties :) i dont feel safe about them right now but they feel nice and snug. THey were a pain to get on becuase i had to tiem them in an ex fashion around the card and hsf to avoid the agp slot

Back