• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't decide...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

I am building a new computer and I have 1 7200RPM 80GB seagate, and 1 7200RPM 120GB 8MB cache maxtor. Right now both are in my older gateway computer, which runs well and I am going to keep it as a second system for friends to use, etc.

Anyways, I have a few options. 1 is to learn how to use RAID 0 and use it on these 2 drives. I am the all-round person that will do just about everything on my computer, so will RAID 0 speed me up? Like, speed me up a lot, or a little? Slowest thing in this new comp will be the hard drives. If I did this then some old 7GB drive would go into my older gateway system. Only bad thing is if one of thoes drives die....

Or option 2. I can use just the 120GB on my new comp, and leave the 80GB in my older gateway machine and be able to store backups and other things on it over my network. The older gateway would almost be like a file server. Good thing about this is I get to backup my data, unlike option #1.

Soo, if you were me what would you do?
BTW, can someone give me some RAID for dummy's linkage? :)

Mr.Radar said:
I belive the drives have to be of the same capacity to do RAID-0, and it's highly reccomended for them to be of the same manufacturer/model.

Could you partiton the 120gig drive down to 80 gig? I know it would be a waste of space, but would it work?

I belive the drives have to be of the same capacity to do RAID-0, and it's highly reccomended for them to be of the same manufacturer/model.
O well that makes my decision easy :p

Lejend said:
Could you partiton the 120gig drive down to 80 gig? I know it would be a waste of space, but would it work?

It should work. You should have an 160gb (80x2) array after you're done.

Yes matching drive make/model/speed/cache is optimal, but it should work with mismatched drives, defaulting to the slower of the two drives' settings.

Back