• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improve TV Antenna Picture Quality?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

Hi everyone, I've been getting really annoyed with the quality of the pictuure coming from the antenna lately, and I was thinking of a way to improve it, is there some way to make the antenna better, or somehow amplify the signal, like by messing with the insdes or something?

Also, do those amplified TV antennas work that much better or are they just a waste of money? BTW, this is my antenna Also, do not recommend getting cable, because we are just cheap, and thats why we still have an antenna

My grandpa installed a signal amplifier in his RV (which usues a miniature version of the giant antennas you see on top of houses) and there was a HUGE difference between when it was turned on and off. We were able to get two channels with decent quality when it was on vs. one channel with crappy quality when it was off.

Mr.Radar said:
My grandpa installed a signal amplifier in his RV (which usues a miniature version of the giant antennas you see on top of houses) and there was a HUGE difference between when it was turned on and off. We were able to get two channels with decent quality when it was on vs. one channel with crappy quality when it was off.

could you point me to a store that sells one? (online or b&m)

dalilman52 said:
and I was thinking of a way to improve it, is there some way to make the antenna better, or somehow amplify the signal, like by messing with the insdes or something?

Highly recommend against messing with the insides of a tv. Cuz if a capacitor dumps a charge in you, you'll be in for a real shock. Its like the opposite of working inside a computer. In a computer u want to be ground, but for a tv or monitor u don't want to be ground cuz the capacitors hold a huge charge and if ur ground they will let loose on ya.

autoMATTic said:
Highly recommend against messing with the insides of a tv. Cuz if a capacitor dumps a charge in you, you'll be in for a real shock. Its like the opposite of working inside a computer. In a computer u want to be ground, but for a tv or monitor u don't want to be ground cuz the capacitors hold a huge charge and if ur ground they will let loose on ya.

i didnt say anything about mesing with the inside of the tv, i said mesing with the antenna..big difference, and can yall please tell me if an amplified antenna is really worth it

You dont have to get all snappy. You weren't so clear in the way you said it. Anyways it's some knowledge that you could use either way. Have you tried google or yahoo search engine. I eman you have this is your sig: "
The search function is there for a reason, USE IT!!!"

Before I got cable, I used to use an amplified antenna, it was worth the few clams I invested. It adds gain to the signal recieved. RCA(one I used) makes models, that are widely available. I guess the brand Phillips can be found also for cheap. I am in North America so brands/models may differ among regions. I went to "wallyworld" for mine, it sat ontop of the tv. If this is too small then head to the "Ratshack".

Last edited:
Before DTV had our locals, I used a big "Roof style" directional antenna that was mounted in the attic (was already there, just not hooked up!). I dual purposed it to distribure off-air to 3 TV's, AND to give me a fantastic FM tap for 3 receivers. Best off-air I saw in a while. Now we have locals on DTV/TiVo (Ahh 144 Hour TiVo!), so I still use it just for FM.

I tried the DSS antenna that mounts to the DSS dish. It picked up like 2 channels WELL, and the rest were HORRIBLE! It even claimed to have a built in line driver/amp!

Check online, or Rat Shack for a good cheap antenna. The amplifiers should to a good job, too.

:cool:

autoMATTic said:
You dont have to get all snappy. You weren't so clear in the way you said it. Anyways it's some knowledge that you could use either way. Have you tried google or yahoo search engine. I eman you have this is your sig: "
The search function is there for a reason, USE IT!!!"

I knew what he meant.... :)

Any tvtop attena that plugs into AC should work wonders over passive "rabbit-ears"

you could get a REAL antenna, we used to have one years ago when i was little, mounted on top of a 25 foot steel pole structure. the antenna was about 4 feet long by 2.5 feet wide.

we had pretty crappy reception, living in a small valley, the signal wouldn't "reach" us as much as if we were a 50 feet higher, or so i was told.

what kind of antenna are you using now, since i haven't seen where anyone has asked you yet?

Mr. Chambers said:
what kind of antenna are you using now, since i haven't seen where anyone has asked you yet?

Also, do those amplified TV antennas work that much better or are they just a waste of money? BTW, this is my antenna Also, do not recommend getting cable, because we are just cheap, and thats why we still have an antenna

^from my first post

and for those of you that suggest i get a roof-top antenna...thanks but no thanks, i live in a VERY urban area (houston) and i think that would be too much, i think i might look into getting an amplified antenna that plugs into the wall, thanks everyone

and one more question, are there places online that sell these things for cheap, i hate going to worst buy or other places like crap shack, everything is so expensive, and you have to pay tax!!!11 so plz find me some good deals on the amplified ones online

This might be good start...
http://www.bizrate.com/buy/browse__cat_id--11510905.html
I liked the http://www.jlhwholesalers.com/jlhwholesalers/rcaant1250.html It is the model(sorta) that I used to use. I live in a urban area, 5th floor in brick building. No chance of mounting an anttena. To top it off I was cheap(since then I have gotten cable) and didn't want to go through the hassle of cable. The amplified tv tops are lil more than the passive models. So expect to shell out about 10 -20$ more.
It might give you idea on the product(s) that you would like to try out, then you can narrow the search.

Last edited:
Enablingwolf said:
This might be good start...
http://www.bizrate.com/buy/browse__cat_id--11510905.html
I liked the http://www.jlhwholesalers.com/jlhwholesalers/rcaant1250.html It is the model(sorta) that I used to use. I live in a urban area, 5th floor in brick building. No chance of mounting an anttena. To top it off I was cheap(since then I have gotten cable) and didn't want to go through the hassle of cable. The amplified tv tops are lil more than the passive models. So expect to shell out about 10 -20$ more.
It might give you idea on the product(s) that you would like to try out, then you can narrow the search.

thx, i have been searching around a little and i have found the one that I want, the rca ant501, i believe it has a better gain then the one you suggested, the ant1250, but that may not make it better, which one from RCA is best? (considering all of their models)

dalilman52 said:
thx, i have been searching around a little and i have found the one that I want, the rca ant501, i believe it has a better gain then the one you suggested, the ant1250, but that may not make it better, which one from RCA is best? (considering all of their models)
A free one.. but really... The one I used worked great, just go with what you like and fits in your budget. The more it gains the better. Once you find a model you like do power search on the exact model.

dalilman52 said:
^from my first post

and for those of you that suggest i get a roof-top antenna...thanks but no thanks, i live in a VERY urban area (houston) and i think that would be too much, i think i might look into getting an amplified antenna that plugs into the wall, thanks everyone

and one more question, are there places online that sell these things for cheap, i hate going to worst buy or other places like crap shack, everything is so expensive, and you have to pay tax!!!11 so plz find me some good deals on the amplified ones online

unless i'm missing something, you said nothing in your first post about not wanting a rooftop antenna. also, mine wasn't roof mounted, it was mounted on an antenna pole/structure....thing, but thats beside the point :) you're best bet, after learing you do not want a big antenna like that (which really would give you the absolute best quality), is to pick up an amplified one, im hoping someone else can recommend a decent one for you.

good luck in your search!

FYI - I had my "Rooftop" antena in the attic - and I could not be happier wit the performance w/o an amp! (See my above post) I am in a "Snobby" Houston suburb as well...

A rooftop antenna hanging from your ceiling can not only improve your TV reception markedly but wil also make your dwelling more stylish and make a handy hanger for wet clothes.

I bought Radio Shack's second-largest rooftop antenna for $5 on close-out and can now get Tucson TV stations in Phoenix.

Back