• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extra Memory Settings... What are they?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KTF137

Registered
I am in the process of trying to re-overclock my rig after updating to a new BIOS. (The last one did not work very nicely with my 2x512 Kingston BH-5 PC3200) This BIOS has a number of new memory settings that I have not been able to figure out. Here is a list of all of them (BOLD ones are new to me):
T(RAS) 5
T(RCD-Read) 2
T(RCD-Write) 2
T(RP) 2
CAS Latency 2
T(RC) 13
T(RFC) 15
T(DOE)
T(RRD)
T(W2P)
T(W2R)
T(REXT)
T(R2P)
T(R2R)

Previously I was able to push this setup to 255 x 9.5, but my processor hit its wall at 2425mhz. Now that I have the new BIOS, I am barely able to pass 200x10.5. I have a feeling that adjusting the new RAM settings would help me get back to a respectable 220x10.5 or higher.

I will eventually go in and just play with the settings, but I would like to find some sort of an explanation as to what exactly they are because the new settings introduce millions of new combinations of memory timings. (They are currently set to "AUTO", but this PC Perspective Forum thread says that the AUTO settings need to be changed. The recommended settings [11, 2, 2, 2, Cas2.0 11, 15, 5, 4, 6, 3, 3, 4, 5] give me numerous problems, and the AUTO settings give me no problems until I adjust the FSB or multiplier.)

So who is the RAM guru around here? ;)

Thanks for your help!

Most don't really mess with those settings on the DFI board. You probably will want to head over to DFI forums if you want a better answer. Personally I would not recommend using the 6/19 bios for anything.

You mentioned that you previously hit 255x9.5, thats a very good OC. The only point in updating to 6/19 (for most) is to fix some problems they are having with the current DFI bios they are on (i.e. cold boots & such, no OC advantages to 6/19 bios). I would suggest flashing back to the previous bios you were on.

What "problems" did you have with your Kingston 512x2? You hit 255 fsb, I can't imagine any problems, oh & do you have CPC off or on?

The previous BIOS revisions did not work well with my BH-5. I would crash in online games all the time no matter what the settings were. The stability I get from this BIOS (even though I am at stock speeds) is well worth it. I am now looking to tweak this BIOS and gain the ability to overclock again. The DFI forums are in the middle of trying to figure out those settings as well, that's the reason I came over here. I'll keep searching, thanks!

Note: I have CPC on. (In the past I could keep CPC on until I hit 240FSB, then I had to disable it to go higher.)

Wow, I'm really shocked to see that you can enable CPC at all & run your memory. Kingston (especially the memory you have, same as mine) is known to not be able to run CPC at high-higher speeds.

What about 1/31 bios or even 1/21?

BTW - The extra DFI timings have proven to not benefit a whole lot for OC'ing or greatly impacting an OC.

If games & such crashed in the past your memory probably was not stable (i.e. timings are to tight at to high of speeds or CPC is enabled when it should be off, etc.....). Thats one of, if not thee first sign that your memory settings are off. Did your memory pass memtest?

the memory wouldn't pass memtest before 6/19 (no matter what the settings were)... that's why I had to give 6/19 a try. Now it works without a problem. If I can get into windows, then memtest seems to run without any errors. The problem is that I can't get into windows with anything above 10.5 x 200. So, this bios fixes my memory problems of the past and gives me incredible stability within windows... but at the same time it effectively eliminates any overclocking options. What I was hoping for were some suggestions about what values are recommended for 2x512mb sticks. The "default" settings seem to target people who use much less RAM. Even people with 2x256 have to adjust the timings from "auto" to other settings just to get through 3dmark2k1SE. So far, I can only get through 3dmark with it on "auto"... but as I said before... that means no overclocking. Oh well, I'll keep tweaking.... Thanks!

tRRD is the time interval between ACTIVE bank A and ACTIVE bank B commands.

W2P - Write-to-Precharge
W2R - Write-to-Read
R2P - Read-to-Precharge
R2R - Read-to-Read

Time intervals or delays between differant commands, I believe.

No idea about DOE or REXT timings.

Thanks for those descriptions! I will keep on tweaking and see what I come up with...

Back