• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sct

Disabled
What board and Intel 800fsb chip, Northwood vs Prescott for
some one not going to Oc . will there be any performance besides being
800fsb ?

Last edited:
Go with a northwood. They do more work at the same speed as a Presscott and they also run a whole helluva lot cooler.

Well, the prescott, since it has a 1mb L2 cache, it can decompress faster and do really CPU intense stuff. Well, it sounds like your a gamer so I would go with a northwood. I guess you asked for a recommendation for a motherboard. I recommend Asus, MSI, and ABIT. For you, I would go either with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe, I think you can do some searching! :) I do agree with Jiggahurtz, prescotts run like an AMD, and northwoods run at least 5-10C cooler, go with a northwood!

The Northwood will beat a Prescott in nearly everything at default speeds. Since the Northwood is lots cooler, then this is really a no-brainer if you are not overclocking. Not sure what your budget is, but it's tough to beat the Abit AI7 and P-4 3.0C combination. You'll want two sticks of PC3200 RAM for 1:1 ratio dual channel memory.

Jiggahurtz said:
Go with a northwood. They do more work at the same speed as a Presscott and they also run a whole helluva lot cooler.

So why would you ever get a prescott if they are hot, don't OC that well without insane cooling, and at stock they aren't better?

I got mine really cheap, but if they were the same price like retail (I believe they are really close) why would you get one?

Drop-Top, you're under the wrong impression regarding the Pressies. True they run hot. True they aren't as fast clock-for-clock at stock (hey that rhymes...). Not true that they don't OC well or need insane cooling. In fact they generally OC *higher* than Northwoods if you're willing to go to watercooling. On air most will do 3.4-3.6 at stock voltage, and once you hit 3.5+ they start out-running the Northwoods. The new D0 steppings seem to be doing even better yet, with DocLiv's 3.2E *C0* doing 4.0........on air :cool:

Edit: Whoops, confused two different people's procs and corrected myself. Here's DocLiv's OC

Last edited:
Before I got my Intel RMA'd 3GHz Northwood back, I was running a Prescott 3GHz @ 3.7+ GHz on an Asus P4P800SE with TT Spark 7+. Idle was about 45 - 47C with load temps at 58 - 60C. There was virtually no performance degradation by Prescott due to heat. In fact, the slight uppage in Vcore barely resulted in a heat increase. Prescott just runs hot, but shows no lack of OC-ability. The main factor holding me back was my PC3200. It doesn't POST anywhere over 222MHz at 1:1. Hence why I run at 250 FSB with 5:4 ratio.

With a Prescott, the i875 is better because the power circuitry is a little more robust. With the Northwood, the i865 is fine. I've had two Prescotts now and at stock speed, the Northwood definitely beats them. As you overclock them, the Prescott starts catching up. At about 3.6 to 3.8 gig the Prescott really starts to shine. But, you need exceptional cooling for those speeds. Look back at the first post, it says they would NOT be overclocking. So, why would you get a Prescott if they run hotter and perform less at stock speeds?

You are posting this in the Intel CPU section. If you are turning traitor, you need to retreat to the AMD section.

I have had an 3.0E and a 3.0C at 3.8gigs and according to the benchmarks the Northy would beat the Prescott at everything except cache and memory. This is just my personal experience but there wasn't really that much of a performance gap. Nothing noticeable at least. If you do a lot of multi media and video stuff the Prescott is probably the way to go. Overclocking wise, I am having more luck with the Northy which is at 3.86 right now at 1.5725 Vcore. Both had the same watercooling setup with the asus p4c800. Good luck. Hope my blurb helps.
Kevin

Back