• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pentium celeron athlon duron Gold or scrap metal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CheeZeTM

OK
we all know that they have processors that at awsome and suck
pentium is better than celeron
athlon is better than duron
but why? i have beed reading up and i came to one conclusion, cheaper processoer are built cheaper and have smaller cache sizes forceing them to write to the ram

am i correct?

never owned a celly, dad owns duron 1.2 morgan i think(allpebred is the other one)

want to convence him that it is crap and he should buy a better one

comparing the duron to the athlon isnt like comparing a P4 to a Celeron...more like comparing a p4 to a p3, just tell him its pretty outdated and since then the design has improved with the athlon line, and for less then 100 bucks he will notice an extremly large boost in speed...

Modern Athlon XP's and durons are a lot faster than the old morgans. $100 for a mobile will get you 2.4ghz easy, which is about a 3500+ by their reconing. Or, you could buy a plain 2500+ for $70.

I was not thinking about going for a barton, 1 his mobo wont accept that high, more like a 2400+ clocked at 1.93 266FSB, we are haveing overheating problems too, he has a aluminum heatsink with a 80 or 90mm fan but it is not enoughf, his box is in his shop, theres a AC but he does not use it, he calls me in for his problems and i have to sweet my balls off fixing the PC, i ordered a thermaltake polo and a shim withch was mailed today and will arrive on the 10th, the PC willmore than likely not be used for the next 5 days, he is in the hospitol, he normally runs at about 140*f and that is WAY too hot if u ask me

I get on his computer and i get board waiting for items to load, he says it is pretty fast, i am used to my PC he is used to his

well if you buy a 2400+ get it with its stock hsf, it should be enough if hes not gunna OC even if the room is hot.

ok, i normally buy retail packages, if he decids to get a processor, i will inspect the heatsink in the package and decide wether to use it or dump it on ebay

It has an 80 or 90mm fan? It should work with a new processor then. Btw, why not a barton? They are like $5 moe than a 2400+, does his board not support it?

correct, his board does not suport barton, it is a Asus a7v266-e and the asus web page says the higest supported processor is the 2600+ throughbred @ 266fsb unver revision 1.07 (witch he has)

http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

socketA(462) a7v266-e

cooling fan: his fan went out and had we got a "duct" to put on it to put a larger fan

While you're working on his computer and haven't got the cpu yet, try this. Go in the bios and disable PCI master read caching and delayed transaction (if you have it.) The L2 cache will then be free for the applications and you should see better performance from it. I had a 1gig duron and my mobo's (sig) manual says to do those when using a duron on it. I saw an improvement on mine and it ran pretty good. When using an athlon, then you enable them. :)

Looked and it did not have it, i have not ordered the processor yet, just a fan and shim for the duron in there, maybe when it was built they dident put any thermal paste, noticd big diffrence on my PC(my bro built my dads)

CheeZeTM said:
Looked and it did not have it, i have not ordered the processor yet, just a fan and shim for the duron in there, maybe when it was built they dident put any thermal paste, noticd big diffrence on my PC(my bro built my dads)

That surprised me. Let's see... (looking at mine) it's under advanced and the sub menu is chip configuration. Both of the items will be in there. I was pretty sure that your (duron) bios are award medallion like mine since both of our mobos are a7v series.

CheeZeTM said:
correct, his board does not suport barton, it is a Asus a7v266-e and the asus web page says the higest supported processor is the 2600+ throughbred @ 266fsb unver revision 1.07 (witch he has)

http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

socketA(462) a7v266-e

That does'nt mean that it won't work... It just means that you have to have a processor that has 266fsb, meaning that a mobile barton could very well work. I have an old epox 8kha+ that has the same specs, and it works fine with a 266fsb barton. Maby you could have a search on a few forums for the motherboard model and barton and see what turns up, somebody has surely tried.

I will have to re-check the bios config, i have been under alot of stress and could haeve very simply over looked it

CandymanCan said:
I have an Asus A7V333 rev 1.02, Asus says it doesnt work with Bartons i beg to differ it run my 2500+ just fine.

The same with epox but that does'nt mean it won't work...

I checked out the bios thing and found nothing, i pulled the CPU ad heatsin/fan and not to my suprise found a crappy cooling fan under the large 80mm cooling fan, seams when it was upgraded, it originly had a 60mm fan, heatsink is aluminum and it had the pink layer of thermal grease, ima clean off the CPU and heatsink and replace it (with son AS5 of course) and hopefully it survives till monday when the new HS/F arives, then i will repeat when i am doing todav, also this mod for the 800 fan seams crappy, its aluminum but theres large slits in it that all the airflow leaves befor it reaches the CPU, think some silver tape we have in the back will fix that

Back