• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help installing XP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tigers131

Registered
Hello all,

I am currently trying to install windows xp. I have win98 se installed and want to put xp on. How do i go about doing this? I want to save some of the programs I have and need to know how to make a backup cd. Also what file system do i use? Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to make this install smooth and hassel free as possible. Thanks

You should be able to do an upgrade install. With 98 running, put in the XP cd, after the window upens up, tell it to install. This should do an upgrade from your 98, and keep all your data and programs set up.

Doing an upgrade install is NOT recommended. It's best to go fresh! :)

Format the drive before fully installing XP. If you want to still use some programs you have installed, you should backup the installation files for them if they are stored on your drive.

If you don't have the installation files, then you would be better off still doing a fresh install and then just downloading them again. Upgrading from 98 to XP is sort of sloppy.

IMOG said:
Doing an upgrade install is NOT recommended. It's best to go fresh! :)

Format the drive before fully installing XP. If you want to still use some programs you have installed, you should backup the installation files for them if they are stored on your drive.

If you don't have the installation files, then you would be better off still doing a fresh install and then just downloading them again. Upgrading from 98 to XP is sort of sloppy.

I agree entirely. Upgrading from one OS to another is as reliable as installing Windows while overclocked. Sure, maybe it would work, but it's best to just do it right!

Back