• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats better? and whats the diffrence?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ytoledano

Registered
amd 64 3200 clawhammer s745 2.0ghz 1mb cach
or
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ DTR (754-pin) OEM?
and whats the diffrences
overclooking speed performence?

basically the same chip, however the DTR has a lower default voltage and chip ID (which causes issues in many motherboards)

Speeds: they are same speed all around.
Performance: same
overclocking: Hit or miss either way. have owned two of the clawhammer 3200's, and one DTR 3200. the DTR fell in the middle of all 3. Most of the newer A64's seem to overclock good. the older ones were not all that great, but that could have been the older mobo's too.

For less hastle I prefer the regular desktop chip. Others should chim in with more differences, these are the one's I have seen and know of.

These are the model and OPN code for the two 3200+:

Desktop
3200+: ADA3200AEP5AR 1.5V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 2.0 GHz, x10

Mobile DTR
3200+: AMA3200BEX5AR 1.5V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 2.0 GHz, x10

Both have the same default voltage, frequency and multiplier, as well as L2 size.

As far as power, current rating, the AMD tech doc put the two differently:
Desktop 3200+: 57.8 A, 89 W
Mobile DTR 3200+: 52.9 A, 81.5 W
(as well as the 3400+ desktop and DTR)

Further, if wanting going more details into low power state and power break down, the Mobile DTR and the other mobiles 1.4 V and 1.2 V have different low power state than the desktop 3200+. I can see the mobiles DTR, 1.4V, 1.2V dissipate a little less power (say 9% or more) than the desktop counterpart for the same PR rating.

Hence indeed the mobile DTR, 1.4V, 1.2V should run cooler, question is whether motherboards and bios can handle them properly at the current time.

The above information can be found in this link or the AMD web site.
940, 754, 939 CPU models and specifications

hitechjb1 said:
Apart from the obvious voltage, frequency, power rating for the desktop and the various mobile CPU's.

Each type of mobiles has its own voltage, power, low-power states specification and power up/down sequences. For details, read/study the details in the AMD tech doc for each of them. As such, it requires certain bios and motherboards to handle them, .... As more bios and motherboards mature, I hope/expect more and more bios would be able to handle them.

Actually, based on reading the AMD tech doc (unless there are typo or missing informations),
the low power state of desktop A64 is different from the mobile DTR, mobile 1.4V and mobile 1.2V. The latter three have the same low-power states.

Power state of A64 desktop, mobiles (DTR, 1.4V, 1.2V) for 754 and 939

Last edited:
Back